Conceal carry in my purse?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal carry in my purse?

Conceal carry in my purse?

I'm new to this site and have been searching for the answer to this question for weeks. I live in Washington state and I'm thinking about getting my license but I've heard mixed things about being able to carry in my purse or handbag. I'm not a small woman so concealing in a side holster isn't exactly an option but I live in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood with my young child and don't feel very safe going to and from work. Any info is appreciated :)
    Last edited by missXmay; 03-23-2010 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Typo, added info

For various reasons, men as well as women should carry on your person whenever possible. There are numerous styles of holsters available. Do some research to find an option that works for you. Purse carry should be a LAST resort.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I would highly recommend reading the writings of Kathy Jackson

Cornered Cat

She has many good thoughts for women and firearms. Then make up your own mind and whatever you decide will be right. There are advantages and disadvantages to purse carry. If you ask 100 people you could get 100 different answers. Ultimately only you can decide what's best.
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

I generally agree with the above two posters. When I originally read this thread it seemed like the OP was dead-set on carrying in a purse. If you are going to carry in a purse, get one that is designed to stow a firearm. Don't just let your sidearm flop around inside a regular purse.

Another option, the link I posted above also makes some fine quality leather vests and jackets with a holster built in. Take a look at those as well, as they might be an option.

No, I do not work for Coronado Leather, Desantis Holsters, or the Galco Holster Company. I do know that they make high quality products.

I agree. Kathy Jackson's site Cornered Cat, is excellent for women. I am a small-frame female and have tried every holster and clothing available for concealment for my Glock 17 - just doesn't work for me. I have a concealed carry purse with a cross body strap. It has a zippered compartment in the back for the weapon with a built-in holster. This is the only thing that works for me. Did purchase from Coronado Leather. They can be pricey, but well worth it if you're going to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by kwnzqs View Post
    I agree. Kathy Jackson's site Cornered Cat, is excellent for women. I am a small-frame female and have tried every holster and clothing available for concealment for my Glock 17 - just doesn't work for me. I have a concealed carry purse with a cross body strap. It has a zippered compartment in the back for the weapon with a built-in holster. This is the only thing that works for me. Did purchase from Coronado Leather. They can be pricey, but well worth it if you're going to carry.
    Concealing a Glock 17 would be challenging considering that it's a full sized pistol. It is commonly carried by LE as a duty gun. For CC, a Glock 19 might be a better option.

Be careful that you don't forget your purse anywhere or place it on the chair across from you while eating at the local fast food joint. I've seen both scenarios with a purse carried firearm. Don't want you to be one of them.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

My wife and daughter both do the purse carry thing. Neither is about to carry in a regular holster. If you do go the purse route be sure and get one with a dedicated pocket for a gun. There are a number of quilty purses made to carry a firearm including Coranado Leather and Galco. The last thing you want is your gun all mixed up in your purse with a bunch of other stuff.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    My wife and daughter both do the purse carry thing. Neither is about to carry in a regular holster. If you do go the purse route be sure and get one with a dedicated pocket for a gun. There are a number of quilty purses made to carry a firearm including Coranado Leather and Galco. The last thing you want is your gun all mixed up in your purse with a bunch of other stuff.
    +1 Be sure that the trigger and trigger guard are protected. Having an item in your purse snag on the trigger could result in a ND with serious consequences.

gf

My wife is the same way. Does not want to body carry, so she got a dedicated purse for her Glock 27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast