Women and open carry - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Women and open carry

1. And by the way, I find it deplorable that there was no fact-checking done on a Brady Campaign quote...in fact, it was picked up and bolded in red in the center of the article:
    ‘Any criminal can
    go to a gun show
    and buy a gun.
    Now he can wear
    it in Starbucks’

FALSE!

In Washington State one can NOT OC or CC in a BAR ! Read #7 -

Washington defines a number of places you cannot carry:
    1. Any place where carrying firearms is prohibited by federal law
    2. Public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas/facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools (RCW 9.41.280)
    3. On the site of an "outdoor music festival" (RCW 70.108.150)

4. Restricted access areas of a jail, or of a law enforcement facility, or any place used for the confinement of a person (RCW 9.41.300)

5. Areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices, etc. (RCW 9.41.300)
    6. The restricted access areas of a public mental health facility certified by the department of social and health services for inpatient hospital care and state institutions for the care of the mentally ill, excluding those facilities solely for evaluation and treatment (RCW 9.41.300)
    7. Any portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age (RCW 9.41.300)
    Please see RCW 9.41.300 for additional areas and more detailed descriptions of the restricted carry areas above.

MOST (I did not say ALL) BG's do not OC. They do not want the attention it brings.

Whatever happened to accurate, non inflammatory, reporting ? The Facts, just the Facts ! Backed up with documented proof !

IMO, this is just another attack on 2A .
    Most people go through life wondering if they have made a difference, United States Marines do not have that problem. Pres R. Regan 1985

4. Quote Originally Posted by USMC1911 View Post
    Whatever happened to accurate, non inflammatory, reporting ? The Facts, just the Facts ! Backed up with documented proof !
    This ^.

Quote Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
    Never mind.
    A net friend in New Zealand found the online edition. He sent it to me.

It was (in my opinion) leaning pretty "anti" throughout and sounded like Americans (women who carry, in particular) are paranoid rather than safety conscious and responsible. So I guess I'm sort of glad not to be mentioned. It focused on "open carry" (of which I'm not an advocate, so maybe that's one reason why. I have nothing against it, I just prefer concealed for myself...but wholeheartedly support anyone who OCs.)

It didn't escape my attention that one of the first things you wrote in regards to being here in the states and seeing "open carry" in a coffee shop was "And many of the women here are homely looking mothers with pushchairs or toddlers in tow."
    Wow.
    It also didn't escape my attention that none of the women depicted in photographs would be considered "fit". MAYBE the 19 year old...borderline.
    So what does that do to us, "stereotypically" speaking?
    American women with guns are fat homely moms with nothing better to do than hang out at Starbucks?
    Not only that, you played the Melanie Hain card. And did so without mentioning that her husband was a cop. If you didn't know the story (which I'm assuming most people in the UK do not), it basically feels like "she got murdered by a gun in the house only because SHE owned one".
    VERY disappointed.
    It's here starting on page 94:
    b8c5ca472087dec58323e5d228cd1838223f0c8a]b8c5ca472087dec58323e5d228cd1838223f0c8a

I agree, the ommission of the facts about the Hain tragedy is misleading and flat out wrong. I'm not sure if the "homely" reference was meant negatively, but it could have been phrased better for sure. I've been called worse by better for sure. I think the ladies photographed looked fine.
    I think the Hamm quote was priceless and really benefited us ProG's by the sheer ignorance of the statement: "Any criminal can go to a gun show and buy a gun"....duh criminals can't buy guns U pud.
    I really hate I missed being a part of putting the article together! I plan on providing feedback to the Editor, hope you all will too....let's let them know so they'll know!
    Crystal D Mann CAGA http://www.ccwofnc.com
    NC CCW, NRA Basic Pistol & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor
    Certified Arsenal Appraisals & $20 NC FFL Transfer Services too!

Thumbs down

Now that I've stopped laughing..

To preface this delightful piece of fluff, the Editor-in-Chief's comment says "First, we report from the US on the alarming rise in the number of young women who proudly carry guns, just as they would a designer handbag, in the belief it will protect them from serious crime".

Alarming? really? to whom besides those of the ignorant, uneducated, and misinformed masses?

Agree with CCWOFNC regarding the Hamm quote!

This article is only disturbing to me because I spent the time reading it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.. I'll proudly and fiercely keep my guns and my 2A rights, as I'm one of the law-abiding, responsible US citizens who believe that my safety (and that of my family) is not only my right, but my duty.

Oh and by the way, I'll continue to patronize Starbucks and all the other establishments who are educated and progressive enough to realize that no-gun zones are open invitations to the bad guys (who probably went to a gun show and bought their gun).

Carry on!
    NRA, GOA, USCCA, OFCC, BFA, USA Carry

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. Quote Originally Posted by .38 girl View Post
    To preface this delightful piece of fluff, the Editor-in-Chief's comment says "First, we report from the US on the alarming rise in the number of young women who proudly carry guns, just as they would a designer handbag, in the belief it will protect them from serious crime".

Alarming? really? to whom besides those of the ignorant, uneducated, and misinformed masses?
    Exactly. It's only alarming if you already think there is something wrong with it. To call it "alarming" is to judge it with a pre-existing anti-gun bias.

Quote Originally Posted by andiewrites View Post
    The article won't be printed for another two months (glossy magazines are a very slow process) and I'm not sure if it will appear automatically online, but I will find a way to scan it in so that people can read it, possibly by putting it on a blog and sending a link.
    As I read through many of the posts in response to your post, I can understand why many are skeptical. However, I love to keep an open mind and hope that you will too. I am hopeful you end up producing an objective article. I look forward to reading it when it is published.

Quote Originally Posted by surfcc View Post
    As I read through many of the posts in response to your post, I can understand why many are skeptical. However, I love to keep an open mind and hope that you will too. I am hopeful you end up producing an objective article. I look forward to reading it when it is published.
    Oops! Never mind. Looks to be biased and still looks at gun owners through a paranoid prisim.

good now maybe the eurotrash will stay home!

Quote Originally Posted by .38 girl View Post
    Oh and by the way, I'll continue to patronize Starbucks and all the other establishments who are educated and progressive enough to realize that no-gun zones are open invitations to the bad guys (who probably went to a gun show and bought their gun).
    I hope that was a tongue-in-cheek knock on the disinformation spewed by the Brady Bunch. Only about 2% of crime guns come from gun shows. Been that way for many years.

[X] Nevermind, I just now caught your reference to CCWOFNC and the Hamm quote. My bad.
    Last edited by utimmer43; 06-30-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: I jumped the gun (no pun intended) :)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast