My personal journey into gunownership - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: My personal journey into gunownership

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    It's stories like yours CVM, that caused me and my wife to get involved with the NRA's, WOT events. We really love helping women see the light.

    Thanks for sharing!

  2.   
  3. #12
    handgonnetoter Guest
    I believe that women are not preoccupied with thinking in terms of "defense" as much as men. I think we are just hard wired that way. Women tend to trust and give people the benefit of the doubt more than men do, generally. Thank God for that, because most kids that fall down and get skinned up USUALLY go to Mom before Dad. Women are more like a sports cars and men are more like a Jeep, utilitarian I mean. Guns are utilitarian in nature. Guns were invented as a better way to kill, lets face it, it is the truth. They are a tool. Women are just not as interested in those sort of "tools" as lets say the 250$ mixer I bought my wife (with about 150$ invested in the gadgets that went with it as extra) two years ago. I think few women really sit and hold a rifle or handgun and feel the same "magic" as men do. I am glad more women are getting into the shooting sports than ever before. Remember Pheobe Ann Moses? AKA Annie Oakley? Women most certainly have what it takes if they have the interest!

  4. #13
    CW&M, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds a lot like mine too, so I will give the 'Readers Digest" version of mine.

    I was the youngest of 3 girls in my family. Dad gave up on having a boy, so I was happy to become his "TomBoy". Dad had a gun cabinet with several guns on display, but they were always behind glass, never shot or handled.

    Once I was out on my own, in my late 20s, some friends from work convinced me to get a gun and learn to shoot. I actually bought 2 guns, but the first one, a Ruger MKII was nothing but trouble, always jamming. I was afraid of it and didn't really have much support, so I just put the guns away and forgot about them.

    Fast forward several years... I moved to Colorado into a ready made family, my new husband has long guns, but doesn't shoot a lot. Now The Columbine shooting happens, and because of my ignorance I am afraid of the guns, especially our kids learning to shoot. Thankfully my husband still taught his son to shoot.

    Fast forward again... With the 2008 elections, I was afraid that acquiring guns, and permits to carry would become more difficult, so I decided it was time to dust off the guns and look into getting a CCW. My husband travels a lot for his job, which leaves me to take care of myself. I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

    I don't know what happened, but the bug hit me, and over the past 6 months I bought a large safe and it is getting pretty full. Oh yea, and I sold that darned Ruger. I don't need a gun I can't depend on.

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondis Firearms View Post
    CW&M, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds a lot like mine too, so I will give the 'Readers Digest" version of mine.

    I was the youngest of 3 girls in my family. Dad gave up on having a boy, so I was happy to become his "TomBoy". Dad had a gun cabinet with several guns on display, but they were always behind glass, never shot or handled.

    Once I was out on my own, in my late 20s, some friends from work convinced me to get a gun and learn to shoot. I actually bought 2 guns, but the first one, a Ruger MKII was nothing but trouble, always jamming. I was afraid of it and didn't really have much support, so I just put the guns away and forgot about them.

    Fast forward several years... I moved to Colorado into a ready made family, my new husband has long guns, but doesn't shoot a lot. Now The Columbine shooting happens, and because of my ignorance I am afraid of the guns, especially our kids learning to shoot. Thankfully my husband still taught his son to shoot.

    Fast forward again... With the 2008 elections, I was afraid that acquiring guns, and permits to carry would become more difficult, so I decided it was time to dust off the guns and look into getting a CCW. My husband travels a lot for his job, which leaves me to take care of myself. I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

    I don't know what happened, but the bug hit me, and over the past 6 months I bought a large safe and it is getting pretty full. Oh yea, and I sold that darned Ruger. I don't need a gun I can't depend on.
    I'm proud of you, Fondis. I have a feeling that Obama did more for the advancement of shooting sports and the increase in firearms sales than any other U. S. President in our nation's history. That really wasn't the "stimulus package" that he had in mind!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondis Firearms View Post
    CW&M, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds a lot like mine too, so I will give the 'Readers Digest" version of mine.

    I was the youngest of 3 girls in my family. Dad gave up on having a boy, so I was happy to become his "TomBoy". Dad had a gun cabinet with several guns on display, but they were always behind glass, never shot or handled.

    Once I was out on my own, in my late 20s, some friends from work convinced me to get a gun and learn to shoot. I actually bought 2 guns, but the first one, a Ruger MKII was nothing but trouble, always jamming. I was afraid of it and didn't really have much support, so I just put the guns away and forgot about them.

    Fast forward several years... I moved to Colorado into a ready made family, my new husband has long guns, but doesn't shoot a lot. Now The Columbine shooting happens, and because of my ignorance I am afraid of the guns, especially our kids learning to shoot. Thankfully my husband still taught his son to shoot.

    Fast forward again... With the 2008 elections, I was afraid that acquiring guns, and permits to carry would become more difficult, so I decided it was time to dust off the guns and look into getting a CCW. My husband travels a lot for his job, which leaves me to take care of myself. I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

    I don't know what happened, but the bug hit me, and over the past 6 months I bought a large safe and it is getting pretty full. Oh yea, and I sold that darned Ruger. I don't need a gun I can't depend on.
    I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

    Exactly. As the saying goes "You are the only one that can protect you 24 hours a day". Thanks for sharing your story.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

    Exactly. As the saying goes "You are the only one that can protect you 24 hours a day". Thanks for sharing your story.
    Thanks guys, I really like the people on this forum and enjoy sharing my thoughts, feelings and opinions on it.
    You make me feel like I belong here.
    Fondis

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Central N.Car.
    Posts
    534
    Was raised on the other side of the coin. Had a hunting pistol (32-20) when I was 14. Before that it was a 22 at 12 yrs old. Bought my first Belgium Browning at 16, numerous handguns all along, and my first centerfire soon as I got out of training at Camp Lejeune. Been an escalating involvement every since. I much prefer '06s but have some of those inferior round shooters also--LOL. Of course all my dreams came tumbling down in the great boat capsizing.

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondis Firearms View Post
    Thanks guys, I really like the people on this forum and enjoy sharing my thoughts, feelings and opinions on it.
    You make me feel like I belong here.
    Fondis
    You DO belong here, Fondis. You're a "high caliber" individual, just like the rest of us!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    You DO belong here, Fondis. You're a "high caliber" individual, just like the rest of us!
    Thanks, CW&M. You're Great!
    Fondis

  11. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Was raised on the other side of the coin. Had a hunting pistol (32-20) when I was 14. Before that it was a 22 at 12 yrs old. Bought my first Belgium Browning at 16, numerous handguns all along, and my first centerfire soon as I got out of training at Camp Lejeune. Been an escalating involvement every since. I much prefer '06s but have some of those inferior round shooters also--LOL. Of course all my dreams came tumbling down in the great boat capsizing.
    We are under a tornado warning right now, and I'm afraid most of my firearms got damaged/lost when I had to abandon the range and seek cover.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Personal Readiness
    By festus in forum Survival Related
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM
  2. NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
    By amrote in forum Georgia Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
  3. NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
    By amrote in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
  4. Chenango County NY Approves Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    By RochPersDef in forum Handgun Tactics, Training, and Practice
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2009, 08:29 AM
  5. Utah Non Resident permit training by Rochester Personal Defense
    By RochPersDef in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast