My personal journey into gunownership - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My personal journey into gunownership

1. Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    I'm proud of you, Fondis. I have a feeling that Obama did more for the advancement of shooting sports and the increase in firearms sales than any other U. S. President in our nation's history. That really wasn't the "stimulus package" that he had in mind!
    That's what got me off my arse to get my permit. I've been wanting to get a permit really ever since I became partially disabled. After a home invasion that made the national news, that took place about 20 minutes from my house, I was more determined.

But like others, it took the 2008 election to get serious into getting it. Being on SSDI, it took a while to get my money together to begin the process. With my girl friends encouragement, I finally was able to take the NRA Basic and to get the ball rolling.

After a torturous 10 week and a day wait, I received my permit.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Fondis Firearms View Post
    We are under a tornado warning right now, and I'm afraid most of my firearms got damaged/lost when I had to abandon the range and seek cover.
    I hope there were not to mach damage. Keep us posted. My older brother lived for many years in Denver and we would go up to Colorado every summer from about 79-80 through the mid 90's for a week or two each year. One year in the 80's we were riding around in Denver and it was raining cats and dogs and the wind blowing. We then heard the sirens going off. About 5 mins later we passed an area that had some trees up rooted and a car turned over. As sooe as we got back to my brothers we turned on the T.V. to find out we just missed a tornado that had torn through the area. My brother and sister in law said that that was pretty rare for them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thanks HK,
    We had some hail and strong wind. I'll have to do more checking after sun-up, but only confirmed loss so far was my gun collection that was left out at the shooting pit.
    My animals and I are safe.
    Fondis

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    Whenever there is a gun show within driving distance, my husband and I go...have a wonderful time...and have made it a tradition to end a "gun show day" with dinner at a favorite restaurant!
    :
    It's funny you say this; I only get a weekend off every 3 weeks, and it seems like my husband always has to leave on Sunday for his work travels So when I get a Saturday off and he is in town we make it a "date day" and find a gun show and then out to dinner. We love it!

handgonnetoter Guest
    CW&M, thanks for sharing your story. It sounds a lot like mine too, so I will give the 'Readers Digest" version of mine.

I was the youngest of 3 girls in my family. Dad gave up on having a boy, so I was happy to become his "TomBoy". Dad had a gun cabinet with several guns on display, but they were always behind glass, never shot or handled.

Once I was out on my own, in my late 20s, some friends from work convinced me to get a gun and learn to shoot. I actually bought 2 guns, but the first one, a Ruger MKII was nothing but trouble, always jamming. I was afraid of it and didn't really have much support, so I just put the guns away and forgot about them.

Fast forward several years... I moved to Colorado into a ready made family, my new husband has long guns, but doesn't shoot a lot. Now The Columbine shooting happens, and because of my ignorance I am afraid of the guns, especially our kids learning to shoot. Thankfully my husband still taught his son to shoot.

Fast forward again... With the 2008 elections, I was afraid that acquiring guns, and permits to carry would become more difficult, so I decided it was time to dust off the guns and look into getting a CCW. My husband travels a lot for his job, which leaves me to take care of myself. I don't like being defenseless, and the older I get, the more afraid I am getting.

I don't know what happened, but the bug hit me, and over the past 6 months I bought a large safe and it is getting pretty full. Oh yea, and I sold that darned Ruger. I don't need a gun I can't depend on.
    Wow, really surprised about the Ruger. I have two of them and they are the most reliable handguns I have.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    Wow, really surprised about the Ruger. I have two of them and they are the most reliable handguns I have.
    That's what everyone says! I bought it new, and had FTE problems from the start. I tried every brand of ammo I could get my hands on, and I had other people try it in case I was limp wristing it. It was still bad, so I sent it back to Ruger. They worked on it and made it better, but it was still unreliable. Then the slide wasn't locking back on the last round. As a new gun owner I was afraid of it, so I put it away for about 15 years. Last fall I got it out and tried again now that I am more experienced and am comfortable clearing misfeeds. I still didn't like it, so I thought maybe someone else would give it a good home and I could use the $$ to buy my XD.
    Fondis

We are under a tornado warning right now, and I'm afraid most of my firearms got damaged/lost when I had to abandon the range and seek cover.
    If you are a member of the NRA, they should be covered under their FREE firearm insurance plan, Fondis. If not, surely your homeowner's insurance policy would cover them. Worth checking into, don't you think?
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

It's funny you say this; I only get a weekend off every 3 weeks, and it seems like my husband always has to leave on Sunday for his work travels So when I get a Saturday off and he is in town we make it a "date day" and find a gun show and then out to dinner. We love it!
    Great minds think alike!
    Conservative Wife & Mom -- I'm a Conservative Christian-American with dual citizenship...the Kingdom of God is my 1st home and the U.S.A. is my 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Conservative Wife & Mom View Post
    If you are a member of the NRA, they should be covered under their FREE firearm insurance plan, Fondis. If not, surely your homeowner's insurance policy would cover them. Worth checking into, don't you think?
    Thanks CW&M, I am an NRA member, and although their insurance policy isn't enough to cover much, it does cover my insurance deductible if I file a claim. I do take regular pictures of all my firearms and log their s/n's for insurance purposes.
    Fondis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123