New Gun for wife any thoughts - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Gun for wife any thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jibbster View Post
    HK, you are right..they aren't available in large numbers, but I do still see them on some of the online auction sites...the P6's are also out there (German/European model of the P225). If you keep your eyes out, you can still find older Sigs popping up on the auction sites..I just picked up a P228 a few months ago, and that one took me about 8 months of patiently (ok, kinda patient) surfing my favorite gun auction sites. If you still have your P225, you should hang on to it... The prices seem to have gone up the last year or so,,not sure if its the fear of future gun laws, or the rise in concealed carry that has driven the price up.

Quality guns will always increase in value. They are one of the few things that not only hold their value but appreciate.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

3. Well....... She looked at a number of .380s and she liked the feel of the Walther PK380 the best. I actually like it also. Off to the range lets see how it performs.
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by abush View Post
    Well....... She looked at a number of .380s and she liked the feel of the Walther PK380 the best. I actually like it also. Off to the range lets see how it performs.
    Good choice! It's one of my favorite 380acp's

There has been some function issues with the PK in the past. But, they may have worked through them.

Has she tried a Bersa Thunder 380? The feel is very similar; especially to older PPKs. BUT!! The Bersa is a better performer as far as "reliability" and accuracy. JMHO.

Bersa 380cc or Walther PK380?

I bought a Bersa 380CC over 1.5 yrs ago. It bit like a snake in the web of my hand but was very easy to conceal. I added cushioning in the web area so I could shoot it without a lot of pain. Last week, the cushioning was loose and the gun hurt my hand again. It is very easy to field strip and reassemble after cleaning with one exception: after I had the gun in for repair (trigger was acting up), the take down lever would not stay open - I have to tape it open until I put gun back together.

I just bought a Walther PK380. It has zero bite. It feels the same in the hand as the P22. It is more accurate than the Bersa (hundreds of rounds in Bersa but only a few magazines in the Walther. When I bought the Bersa, this Walther was not yet available. This gun is slightly larger and heavier than the P22 or Bersa 380CC. It is very easy to rack too. Now I do not want to carry the Bersa anymore. The main problem I am expecting with the Walther PK380 is the reassembly of the spring. A huge guy had to field strip it before I would buy it - he had a lot of trouble getting the spring back in. One forum said to use the spring loading tool from the P22 to get the spring back in - think this may help. One more oddity: the PK380 uses a special tool to unlock and relock the gun before and after field stripping. I may try to get another locking tool in case I break or lose the one that comes with it. Guess the levers for field stripping are not enough to hold the gun together. Odd. The gun is very similar to the P22 but has no slide lock for some reason. The forums also warn you to not clean a P22 and PK380 at same time - the springs and spring rods are different.

My wife has a Ruger LCR in .38

I own a Walther PPK/s in .380 (DON'T get a S&W version)

Take her to an indoor range that rents guns and let her try different ones to see what she shoots best with so you don't waste time and money on something she doesn't want to or can't use.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

7. finally made it to range

The Pk 380 did great 150 rounds and only 3 failures to feed. I expect it to get a bit better. My wife loves the gun Thanks
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Walther PP22lr

One of my personal favorites is the Walther PP22 chambered in 22lr due to it's rarity. Notice I said PP22 not P22. I am lucky enough to own one that has never been shot (outside the proof house) and for the price they fetch I'm not going to fire it either. FGSFirearms.com | NEW ARRIVALS This one was a presentation issue with two set's of grips in olive wood and the Bakelite black with thumb rest. It has a finish so deep blue, that it is almost black. I keep it under glass on display. I almost wish someone had shot it so I could carry it with me all the time. Now I know I'll catch hell for saying I would carry a 22 caliber for self defense, but at the same time I would not want to be shot with a 1500fps BB gun either.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    One of my personal favorites is the Walther PP22 chambered in 22lr due to it's rarity. Notice I said PP22 not P22. I am lucky enough to own one that has never been shot (outside the proof house) and for the price they fetch I'm not going to fire it either. FGSFirearms.com | NEW ARRIVALS This one was a presentation issue with two set's of grips in olive wood and the Bakelite black with thumb rest. It has a finish so deep blue, that it is almost black. I keep it under glass on display. I almost wish someone had shot it so I could carry it with me all the time. Now I know I'll catch hell for saying I would carry a 22 caliber for self defense, but at the same time I would not want to be shot with a 1500fps BB gun either.
    Wow, thats pretty interesting. I did not even know Walther made that handgun format in a .22LR. Was that gun made in Germany or here in the States by S&W? Just curious.

wife's carry

S+W 642 with 110g JHP .38spl+p

Walther PP22 made in W. Germany at the Ulm plant. Production for these stopped about 1985, or at least that was the last time you could get a true Walther into the U.S. I love Smith and Wesson, but not what they have done with the Walther line of pistols. You can still order a German Walther from Carl Walther that predates 1985, but by the time you get done with all the transfer fee's they run about $1800.00 for the PP22. I was going to buy one but the finish isn't as good as the older ones.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast