New Gun for wife any thoughts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gun for wife any thoughts

1. New Gun for wife any thoughts

My wife is looking at a p238 in .380 for a general CC. Mostly for carrying at home since we live on a number of acres off a distance from a main road and is sometimes home alone when I travel. any thoughts.
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Howdy Abush, I stopped carrying a 1911, then parked the Warthog, now wearing a 9X18 Makarov, but next week will be picking up my stainless Sig 232 in 380. It will be my constant companion. A 380 travels "slowly" compared to 357s/38s/9mms and IMO has more impact. I call them "Mini 45s"-- LOL. I gave my son my Colt gub style 380 when he deployed the first time. Now he rates a side arm of his own. Gave my daughter a 38 S&W shrouded hammer snubbie and SIL a 9mm mid sized semi(what he wanted). Hope I have not confused you. I like a 380 for carry. Lots are more powerful but I am not going to be shooting at anyone over "X" # of feet,

Quote Originally Posted by abush View Post
    My wife is looking at a p238 in .380 for a general CC. Mostly for carrying at home since we live on a number of acres off a distance from a main road and is sometimes home alone when I travel. any thoughts.
    Fine pistol and fine carry... However, a lot of other folks think the .380 is a good carry gun as well... hence the price and availability of .380 ammo. It costs a small fortune. If she is set on a semi-auto, have her take a look at the Taurus 709 slim in 9mm... or another comparable firearm in 9mm. The ammo doesn't cost as much and it is more plentiful.

5. good points thanks for the advise
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

new gun for your wife

Sigs have an excellent rep, and I looked at the P238 myself at one time (at the time I was a total novice, though, and chose a SA/DA gun instead).

I will assume that your wife feels comfortable with a Single Action, and will carry cocked and locked?

I always plug the Kahrs, especially the 9mm versions like the MK9 and K9 (I carry the MK9). They are about the same size as the Sig P238 but larger caliber (bigger bullets, cheaper bullets, easier to find bullets). I believe MK9 has same number of rounds (6+1), and K9 has one more. Both are super-thin.

She should really shop with you to HOLD each gun. If the gun FEELS GOOD in her hands, it will make a big difference.

Personally, I have a compact for HOME (13 rounds in an H&K). Living out in the boonies, I thought I'd rather have a few more rounds in case more than one perp decided to visit the house. It is concealable in an OWB pancake holster at 4 o'clock should I wish to go out in public with it, but not nearly as concealable as the MK9 (which I carry virtually every day).

If you are considering something slightly larger in size and capacity, the P229 is a beauty (15 rounds now?). My friend has one and he let me shoot it a while back. The heft makes the recoil nearly negligible--it was a true pleasure to shoot.

Good luck with your search!

I love the Sig but you should check out this link first: SIG SAUER : Product Alerts

8. I bought my wife a Bersa 380 and bought myself a sig 232 Stainless and I love it. When we would go the range she would complain about the strength she needed in pulling back the slide, her hand are small and had difficulty. I ended up buying her a 38 + P S&W now she carries all the time. I switch between a 229 40 cal. And the 232 depending how I dress. Have her hold some in her hand and what feels right for her.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

My wife has the P238.. She broke her wrist in a Softball accident and she can slide the slide with no issues.
    She has put a couple hundred rounds through it and it has been flawless, with the exception of some aftermarket magazines we purchased which causes the slide not to lock back on the last shot (The Mag that came with the gun works perfectly)
    I would take the wife shopping and let her decide though (with guidance from you before her final decision), Let it be her decision.. Then if she doesn't like it, it's on her!!!

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

My wife absolutely loves her Bersa 380!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    My wife absolutely loves her Bersa 380!
    I bought the wife a Bersa .380 and will never purchase one again..constant problems with it.... then I bought her a Taurus PT111 (Millenium Pro 9mm) and she really likes it. HOWEVER, she now reallllly likes my Sig P225, so that will be my next purchase

I guess what I am saying is don't be surprised if she switches guns as often as she does purses,until she settles in to one she really likes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast