how to convince my wife to get a permit? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how to convince my wife to get a permit?

1. I assumed an unfamiliarity because of the Negative Energy and that you said she's not crazy. But if this is not the case: then you have to accept that she's crazy. Anyone who believes in "negative energy" is flippin crazy and perhaps shouldn't carry a pistol.

But if you still want to attempt to convince her to carry: you should play "what if." Every time she tells you about her day.

I don't really advise this unless you're willing to risk a divorce.

Convincing another to get a CCW permit

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I'd like my wife to get a permit, too. But so far she has been reluctant citing the theory that would just "invite the negative energy". She's not cuckoo otherwise ... just a bit off target on that one. Any ideas?
    I agree with camerondavidl: only someone who is ready and able to USE a gun should carry a gun. If your wife isn't to that point, then there is no point.

I carry--my husband does not. He has a good reason, and I respect his assessment of his personality type. I carry because I never want to have to wait for someone to "save" me.

I would never say anyone else is crazy (because we are all a little crazy in our own way), but perhaps ask her these questions:
    • If your wife believes that carrying will attract "negative energy," how does she explain all the attacks on unarmed individuals?
    • Predators look for the weakest targets--what is she ACTIVELY doing to not be categorized as such?

Good luck, but remember that a gun won't do her much good if she isn't ready to use it.

Guys, have you not already thought of the one solution that solves ANY marital problem, buying her a mink coat.

5. I may need to have my wife get a permit, because I sometimes leave her in the parked car, with my pistol (possibly loaded). The chance of something like that being discovered is nearly zero, but I like absolutely zero better than nearly zero.

My wife has her's but hardly ever carrys. However, I leave one in my truck once in a while, so if she drives it, she's ok.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    I may need to have my wife get a permit, because I sometimes leave her in the parked car, with my pistol (possibly loaded). The chance of something like that being discovered is nearly zero, but I like absolutely zero better than nearly zero.
    This has been a hurdle for my wife and I, but she will not get a CC permit. I just have to make sure I always have my gun on me and don't leave it with her. Strange how people view a firearm.

You need to help her redefine negative energy.
    Example:
    1)You're at at a gas station picking up a drink. Armed robber comes in making demands and starts shooting people.
    = negative energy
    2) You're able to pull out your gun, bust a round or three in his stupid "arse" and stop him from hurting people.
    = Positive energy
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

My husband for the longest time wanted me to have my permit but I resisted. Then we moved to a city where the crime rate is horrid and it really made me more aware. I am often alone or with kids on my errands and no one can protect me or my kids but me in those moments. So now I practice regularly, I found a gun that works great for my needs, and I have the ability to be safe. She has to be ready. Her protection has to become important enough to outweigh the negative energy. Introduce her to some of the girl gunner blogs. Take her to shows to see the energy is not negative or violent. We are just women who are protecting ourselves and our families.

Anyone who doesn't believe in negative energy just needs to spend the afternoon reading USACarry forum posts (rimshot).

And, if you're going to support the right to keep and bear arms, you need to support the right for other folks not to. It's their choice, not yours.

That being said, I never felt strongly about carrying one way or another.

My husband wanted his CC permit, and offered to pay my fee for the class. I said why the heck not? It doesn't mean I have to carry. It just gives me one more permit.

I took the class and came out with a new appreciation for CC and OC. At first I didn't carry, and I would tease my husband every time he holstered up. "You expecting a gunfight at the WalMart corral, Hon?"

He would just smile and say something like "You never know" or "I'd rather have it and not need need it..."

After a little while, I thought, I have a permit, why not carry? Plus, I'm a little bit of a control freak, and as much as I trust Hubby with my life, I'd like to have a fighting chance, too, thank you very much.

At first I didn't carry every day, because I didn't want to have to think about it that often. Then I just decided to get a very small, carry-friendly bag. It doesn't mess with my style and I don't have to think about it. I could just grab it on my way out the door every day. I'm now at the stage where I'm considering on-body carry.

The more I researched and read, the more I liked the idea of carry. The more I carried, the more I researched.

I understand your wife's sentiments. I do believe in negative energy, and I believe that if you are looking for trouble, trouble will find you. However, for myself, I found that once I started carrying, I felt much more confident and projected a much more positive energy, as I no longer felt like any given situation could disintegrate into violence against my person.

I think the world would be a beautiful place if we didn't have guns. Honestly. Sunshine and rainbows and all of that. Much positive energy. But until that day happens, it's just common sense that I protect my little spot of sunshine.

11. Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I'd like my wife to get a permit, too. But so far she has been reluctant citing the theory that would just "invite the negative energy". She's not cuckoo otherwise ... just a bit off target on that one. Any ideas?
    My husband wanted me to get my permit and I was reluctant about it also. He finally called me from work one day(Thursday) and said, "You are signed up for your class, you take it on Saturday." WOW, I thought... but I actually enjoyed the class and felt a lot better about carrying myself... I went to the Sherriff's office and applied and had my permit about two weeks later! I was very excited and carry just about everywhere I go. Maybe try taking that approach with her... LOL! She might be angry with you at first but she will feel a lot better after it is over :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast