how to convince my wife to get a permit?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to convince my wife to get a permit?

how to convince my wife to get a permit?

I'd like my wife to get a permit, too. But so far she has been reluctant citing the theory that would just "invite the negative energy". She's not cuckoo otherwise ... just a bit off target on that one. Any ideas?

My honest opinion. Don't! If she doesn't feel comfortable carrying a gun then by all means she shouldn't carry one. If I need to use my weapon I feel confident that I am able to use it. And can make the split second decision that it takes. But if someone isn't ready to carry then that's the decision right there. It shouldn't even be a thing to try and convince anyone of. Its a decision that a person must make on their own. Without help.

4. Since she's talking about "Negative Energy" she is either crazy or a victim of the Dominant Anti Gun Liberal Media who teach us that violence is random and there's nothing we can do about it.

Anyway.

Is she familiar with pistols? The mistake most guys make is to take their wives/girlfriends out and shoot Magnums or Forty Fives and the women have a negative reaction to the recoil. The proper way to teach women/children to shoot is with the .22LR or .22WMR.

With the lesser recoil of the rimfire ammunition they'll have fun shooting and will lose their negative image of firearms. You'll be hard pressed to get them to stop.

Once the negative image is replaced with a more positive image. Heck it's just plain fun. Discussions of carry becomes more reasonable and less "negative energy" oriented.

And even if you can't get them to move up to a caliber more suited to self defense: a small frame .22 Magnum revolver with 8 shots like my Taurus with a 2" barrel is a million times better than nothing. I carry mine as a back-up to my .45.

Plus it's cheap to practice with and practice creates familiarity and confidence.

But I do have to warn you. Some women are ill suited to carry! And an attacker will talk them out of surrendering their weapon. Hard to believe. But it's true. About 800 women a year let the lowlife scum talk them out of their pistol. "You don't really want to shoot anybody. Just give me the gun and everything will be ok!"

Renbots Guest
    Treasure the differences between you, it's what makes being married interesting. Be happy and thankful that she let's you be yourself. My advice, don't force the issue. My wife is not in favor of having a handgun, but did not object to me doing so when we had a good discussion over it. I asked her if she wanted to join me for what is in NY a very lengthy process. She declined, and that is ok with me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    Since she's talking about "Negative Energy" she is either crazy or a victim of the Dominant Anti Gun Liberal Media who teach us that violence is random and there's nothing we can do about it.

Anyway.

Is she familiar with pistols? The mistake most guys make is to take their wives/girlfriends out and shoot Magnums or Forty Fives and the women have a negative reaction to the recoil. The proper way to teach women/children to shoot is with the .22LR or .22WMR.

With the lesser recoil of the rimfire ammunition they'll have fun shooting and will lose their negative image of firearms. You'll be hard pressed to get them to stop.

Once the negative image is replaced with a more positive image. Heck it's just plain fun. Discussions of carry becomes more reasonable and less "negative energy" oriented.

And even if you can't get them to move up to a caliber more suited to self defense: a small frame .22 Magnum revolver with 8 shots like my Taurus with a 2" barrel is a million times better than nothing. I carry mine as a back-up to my .45.

Plus it's cheap to practice with and practice creates familiarity and confidence.

But I do have to warn you. Some women are ill suited to carry! And an attacker will talk them out of surrendering their weapon. Hard to believe. But it's true. About 800 women a year let the lowlife scum talk them out of their pistol. "You don't really want to shoot anybody. Just give me the gun and everything will be ok!"
    She's actually from Texas and has served in the Army, chuckle, so she is definetly NOT anti gun. We did go shooting together a few times and she does okay with the medium calibers. Predictably she's not real crazy on the big calibers as you said. She's just determined about that negative energy thing, one of the few things we heartily disagree about. I am more like the guy who got pulled over, handed the cop his permit and politely told him about the 4 handguns he had on him, the 2 rifles in the trunk and the baton on the passenger seat and got asked what he was afraid of "What am I afraid of, officer? Not a damned thing."

It seems to me that you are just wanting your wife to have protection if any negative energy ever happens her way and you are not there to help, nor anyone else... I see a lot of people that would NEVER 'put themselves in that situation' , I remind them that 'they' don't make that choice... I have also had a lot of students that have told me 'that having a gun for protection was never a thought" and they don't even like guns, but for a reason that happened in their life or the life of someone close, their thought process had been changed. Now the WANT to learn, get a gun, a license, whatever to help them not have something like that happen to them. WANT, is the key but can be encouraged.
    Dont give up but you may have to use different angles (friends, relatives, articles, reason, etc) to help her WANT to be armed. Here is a little something:
    If you feel that maybe you should forget about carrying a gun or using a gun as a means of self-defense because the responsibility and liability is too great, let me validate your awareness that you face a great responsibility and a huge liability. However, let me remind you that there us nothing in this world more valuable than your life and the lives of your loved ones.
    Scott Vaughn
    AR CHCL Instructor #02-414 www.vftar.com
    Suarez International Staff Instructor www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

8. While I didn't have to deal with that, my wife actively wanted a carry permit even though she hasn't ever actually carried, I would present it to your wife in the same way. If YOU are carrying and leave your gun in the car, for whatever reason, and she takes the car somewhere, it is better for her to have the permit if she ever gets pulled over or has any contact with law enforcement. If the cop sees the gun somehow having a permit to carry will save a lot of grief.

Hmm, if you can't convince her, I won't have much luck either. :\

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Camerondavidl View Post
    My honest opinion. Don't! If she doesn't feel comfortable carrying a gun then by all means she shouldn't carry one. If I need to use my weapon I feel confident that I am able to use it. And can make the split second decision that it takes. But if someone isn't ready to carry then that's the decision right there. It shouldn't even be a thing to try and convince anyone of. Its a decision that a person must make on their own. Without help.
    I agree 100%. CCW is partly the gun, partly your training level, but mostly your attitude. If your going to be having to pull a gun on someone, then you have to be ready to pull the trigger - if need be. Criminals make their trade by studying people, and are pretty good at telling whether or not you mean business.

Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    While I didn't have to deal with that, my wife actively wanted a carry permit even though she hasn't ever actually carried, I would present it to your wife in the same way. If YOU are carrying and leave your gun in the car, for whatever reason, and she takes the car somewhere, it is better for her to have the permit if she ever gets pulled over or has any contact with law enforcement. If the cop sees the gun somehow having a permit to carry will save a lot of grief.
    MY GF is the same way. I had her want to get her ccw, and she did. she has not carried much, but its nice to know if she goes someplace out of the area or in a "bad area of town" she can carry if she wants to. try that and if she doesnt want to carry atleast she has the option to or not, rather than just cant..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast