Seeking advice, and saying Hello! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking advice, and saying Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Defintely go to the NRA website and find some classes in your area. I highly recommend their "Women on Target" (WOT) events. That way you can find you a gun buddy (gunny bunny) or two. Then start taking the "BASICS".
    Thanks! I can't wait, to actually find someone who enjoys some of the same things I do....most girls don't.....guess it's not lady like and all. Well being all girly is for work!
    "Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards"- Soren Kierkegaard
    *Daeva*

I love your quote! My philosophy on religion is actually a quote from Buddha!
    "Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards"- Soren Kierkegaard
    *Daeva*

Glad to help! ;) The slide is easy to rack and I can also release it even empty. That was very hard to find and I shopped on a day where I felt weaker to put it to the test. No point in shopping strong then not being able to use it on a weak day when it counts. I found revolvers had to much kick for my hands. They hurt horribly after shooting. The size of my HK is a bit bigger than some but that gives it less recoil which my muscles loved.

Lol my little one said a-hole in proper context when her uncle scared the jeepers out of her. We all knew then to watch it!

5. Quote Originally Posted by PerditaDaeva View Post
    Greetings! I'm new to the site, and the world of firearms. I am looking to turn my interest into both a hobby and use for personal protection. I am smack dab in the heart of the Bluegrass (Kentucky). Any suggestion for finding a very experienced instructor and on buying my first firearm? I'm not quite sure what firearm would be best for both purposes?
    Hey, I am new to the site as well..just joined yesterday.
    I would recommend Smith & Wesson .38 bodyguard with laser light... since I am S&W fan!! The reason I suggest .38 The BODYGUARD is a highly concealable revolver with an integrated INSIGHT® laser sight that will breed confidence and put your mind at ease. The feature-loaded laser gives you the option of constant-on or pulse modes and has an automatic 5-minute shut-off to conserve power. It's adjustable for windage and elevation and complements the integral fixed rear and blade front sights. A compact, lightweight frame, 1.9" barrel and 6.6" overall length make the BODYGUARD easily concealable. Steel-reinforced polymer lower frame and aluminum-alloy upper frame for light weight. Stainless steel cylinder with a PVD coating. Synthetic grip and a matte black finish. Double-action only with a small internal hammer. Five-round capacity in .38 Special +P.
    An excellent self-defense gun for close range combat....
    By the way, I am fiddle/bluegrass player ....

IMHO, the coolest ladies are also at least a bit Tomboyish.

My suggestions are similar to the others with some significant exceptions, however.

1. Go to the NRA website and get yourself into the Basic Pistol course. Usually, the instructor or other students will have a gun that you can use before you make that big decision and get your first gun.

2. Find a local gun club range. Preferably one with an group of folks doing action pistol shooting, such as IDPA or USPSA. Go there and talk to them, ask them if they'll help you make the "which gun to buy" decision by letting you shoot some of theirs. Most of teh guys I know are VERY willing to try to help a newcomer & let the newcomer shoot a few rounds through their gun. While most of the guys will be shooting full-size pistols, some of them will be carrying smaller guns like the Kahr PM9 or possibly one of the pocket size 380's such as the Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, or Sig P238.

Don't assume that the best gun for you is a little 380. Yes, they are the smallest & Lightest but their recoil is considerably snappier and less comfortable than a larger gun. My wife discovered this slowly. She started out buying a tiny Ruger LCP and then a larger Walther PK380 and didn't like either. Nor does she like my Sig P238. My Kahr K9 is all stainless, but still not fun for her and her Sig P6 is a bit big for her to carry. Eventually, she discovered that a 3" Officer size 1911 is easy to carry and a soft shooter. And that big hole at the end of the barrel makes her smile. So, she's got a Kimber Ultra Carry II now and loves it.

FYI, the Kahr PM45 is also a soft shooter and its DAO trigger makes it a simpler carry gun.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123