What gun is best for a girl? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun is best for a girl?

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Glock
    OK, if not a revolver for a first gun, then certainly a Glock. ...Close 2nd would be an XDM.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Go to a good gun dealer. Most have what they call "Range Guns". These are guns you can try out to see if you like them. If you can do that you would be in a good position to get something you like. Everyone has their personal preference and what's good for one may not be for another.

4. Best gun for a girl...

First off I agree with a lot of the posts that say you should try different ones and a lot of them. However, if you are a person with small hands and you would rather carry a semi-auto I do have a suggestion. I have freakishly small hands, ring finger size 6, very small but I don't particularly care for revolvers. I carry a 709 slim by Taurus. It is compact, easy to carry and fits my hands. The kickback isn't very bad and I can maneuver the slide and load the clip just fine. You can also buy re-looading helpers to reload more quickly if you want. I carry a weapon on the job and it is in plain sight on my hip and very comfortable, not too heavy.

5. Do not let a guy tell you what to get. Most men are idiots thinking they can pick a gun for their lady.
    Working at a gun store I had to always tell couples not to get her a little stubby Smith. They are way too small and hard to shoot for most ladies.
    My father in law gave mt wife one (one reason we don't like each other lol) and well what do you know she can't handle the recoil, she dislikes the grip and thus doesn't like it.
    I even dislike shooting it!
    Try and find a FEMALE instructor or a store clerk.
    Is suggest a full to mid size auto. The whole thing about not being able to work a slide on an auto is a myth. It's how you do it more than strength.
    Now yes the small guns are good and have their place...

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zoejones View Post
    First off I agree with a lot of the posts that say you should try different ones and a lot of them. However, if you are a person with small hands and you would rather carry a semi-auto I do have a suggestion. I have freakishly small hands, ring finger size 6, very small but I don't particularly care for revolvers. I carry a 709 slim by Taurus. It is compact, easy to carry and fits my hands. The kickback isn't very bad and I can maneuver the slide and load the clip just fine. You can also buy re-looading helpers to reload more quickly if you want. I carry a weapon on the job and it is in plain sight on my hip and very comfortable, not too heavy.
    Well said, Zoe. ..."magazine" tho, as it's reloadable.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

7. need to find a gun that fits your hand and one that is not to heavey

While I admit a revolver would be the most trouble free,hopefully anyways, the light LCR and Smith&Wesson bodygaurd are fine weapons and feel good to most women, but those Little SOBs really hurt to shoot, a 38 special is a strong rd, and the gun's not heavy at all, so your hand will take the recoil, as was said before go to a gun shop with a range that rents guns, spend a few hours there shoot anything that you may like, try anything that feels good to you, I would guess you will pick a mid size 9mm Taurus, Ruger, both have nice shooting guns that most women would like, and aside from not looking "pretty" try the Glocks, the G-26 and G-27, are nice compact models, and if you want some big firepower the G-36 is a 45, and small, very light recoil, my wife shoots ours very well

9. 1. Adjustable grips are good.
    2. If a semi-auto pistol, make sure you can reach all the controls without having to change your grip on the gun; see # 1 above.
    3. A heavier gun is easier to shoot but harder to carry.
    4. Simpler is better. Once you have bought your gun and a good holster resist the temptation to buy gadgets and other whiz-bang devices. Spend your money on training and ammo. At some point you will have answered most of your own questions.
    5. Don't forget to have fun!

10. Suggested Gun

I think the first key is what feels comfortable and safe for you. There are many weapons I won't carry, just because I am not comfortable with them. Handle and shoot a few guns. My wife is comfortable with her Ruger LCR. Likes the feel, weight, accuracy and power Doesn,t like that is a little wide, but barely notices that now. Still, she prefers this over a little gun, like the Ruger LCP. Also, she weighs about 120 and has no recoil or second shot problems.

11. I will start by saying any gun thats "good" for a man is "good" for a woman. I know thats not your question but I like the record straight. NOW for personal defense I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm. Many guns shoot and feel different and it realy comes down to your personal choice. That said I agree with the post that said try them all. Obviously "try them all" means try as many as you can and see what is right for you. Now hear is the absolute undebatable point WHAT MATTERS MOST IS WHAT YOU HIT EM' WITH..The bullet in other words. Use a high quality copper covered hollow point like the speer gold dot by CCI. Study bullets and what they will do to the BG just as much if not more than the gun you fire it from.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast