What gun is best for a girl? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What gun is best for a girl?

1. Seems to me the best gun for anyone is one that the person can shoot
    accurately, can train hard with, and will carry reliably.

That said, it should fit your hand,
    feel good in your hand,
    and the caliber should be one that you can handle practicing
    with (think about 50-100 rounds per training session with the recoil),
    and it shouldn't be so big and heavy that you aren't comfortable
    wearing it all the time.

It might take more than one gun purchase to find that perfect gun, but
    do take everyone's advice and go to a range that lets you rent lots of
    guns. Try as many as can before shelling out the bucks. But then don't
    be surprised if after a year, you decide you need a different gun.
    That's just the way it goes. (Yea, I'm talking from experience.)

Hi I am new to the boards and have been lurking for a few months. You have got some very very good advice here already but still wanted to offer my experience.

I recommend renting a gun and taking a class. Some ranges offer classes and rent guns.

Also as a woman my issues with guns are:

Trigger - Some are really rough and heavy to pull. My Taurus has a heavy trigger. Takes alot to pull.
    Recoil- Learned in class that position is a big part here.
    Racking the slide- My Ruger SR40c is a sweet gun, but the slide is tough for me, and I can rack the slides to all of my DH's pistols rather easily.
    Fit- I don't have the smallest hands for a woman but a lot of guns I really wanted just didn't fit my hand well.

I don't live in a carry state so I can't offer any info there. Best of luck to you and most of all have fun choosing one thats right for you and don't be intimidated!

4. thank you everyone for the great advice, didn't expect so many people to answer so quickly.... but i just found out my cousin owns a gun shop and told me i can try out as many as i want, ill let ya'll know what i end up with.

5. Does your county

Does you county offer a gun course? My county offers a gun course every Fall, we can bring our own & shoot some of their's! Excellent instructors and I feel more confident when I carry. I carry Sig. P238 most of the time, and when I go to range always go for the chest. Get a good self defense round, and practice often. Personally, I do not care for Glock, they jam with me, but it could be me...but they jam with hubby as well. Know your gun laws and know what to do if stopped while carrying.

God Love ya for wanting to express your Constitutional right to carrry. You have certainly recieved a lot of good information here but all of it is for naught.

There was no information given by you in the OP (original post) for anyone to base thier answer on or to give accurate suggestions from.

What weapon platform you decide on will be based on several factors, the first of which would be your stature. Are you 4'5'' and 95 pounds or are you 5'10" and 150 pounds? Without the specifics there is no way you can get a good answer other that what has been expressed, "go to your local range and try some on."

Welcome to the blog and good luck with your selection. After it's all over just remember, practice, practice, practice!

7. Think about this as you try out the many weapons you have to choose from. Try each one in a concealed carry practice posture. ie: from inside waistband, outside waistband, purse carry and vest). This may help you decide which one will be right for you. Also consider doing a night time practice as this may be more inline when you are placed in a threat situation where all your practice will keep you with the right mind set.

8. The smith and wesson bodyguard is fun. small and easy to conceal.
    I agree with the post about the XD. I loved mine, but the slide was sometimes a little hard to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaxdsc View Post
    It might take more than one gun purchase to find that perfect gun, but
    do take everyone's advice and go to a range that lets you rent lots of
    guns.
    One Glock purchace tends to lead to another.

My personal suggestion would be the Ruger LC9, but that's just what works best for me, almost anything could work best for you.

What gun is best for a girl?-ruger_lc9_01.jpg
    "It is not our abilities that show what we truly are, it is our choices." ~ Albus Dumbledore

11. I agree about the LC9. My husband originally bought it as a pocket gun for himself, but after I shot it at the range a few times and carried it around the house awhile, he suggested I keep it. I didn't say no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalaura Rees View Post
    My personal suggestion would be the Ruger LC9, but that's just what works best for me, almost anything could work best for you.

What gun is best for a girl?-ruger_lc9_01.jpg

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast