Great to see More Women at the Range
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great to see More Women at the Range

1. Great to see More Women at the Range

I would just like to say I've seen more and more women at the range lately both shooting and purchasing firearms. I am really thrilled to see more women taking the steps to protect themselves and their families. I am really happy to see everyone out practicing with their chosen firearm as well and not just letting it sit in a drawer. It's important to be comfortable with the weapon and not just hope to be ready if something goes wrong.

Stay sharp,

Chuck

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Yup, and it beats looking only at your ugly mugs...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

I've found the guys at the range to be very accepting; I was afraid of a patronizing attitude from some of the good old boys, but I have been treated with respect for my efforts and abilities.

Ditto on them smelling and looking better than us guys. Have been working with a lady from another site a few times. Tried to teach her instinctive(point) shooting but she is intent on learning to shoot targets. Will be meeting again Thurs afternoon to just practice techniques of target shooting. She has improved greatly but still flinches badly. Will be loading her mags and have some snap caps to slip in so she can easily see how badly she flinches. She is grouping fairly well occasionally. She is very serious about accuracy. Headed to Florida and SC to some training courses shortly. Will just be "plum tickled" to see that gal start putting them in the 10 ring.

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    Ditto on them smelling and looking better than us guys. Have been working with a lady from another site a few times. Tried to teach her instinctive(point) shooting but she is intent on learning to shoot targets. Will be meeting again Thurs afternoon to just practice techniques of target shooting. She has improved greatly but still flinches badly. Will be loading her mags and have some snap caps to slip in so she can easily see how badly she flinches. She is grouping fairly well occasionally. She is very serious about accuracy. Headed to Florida and SC to some training courses shortly. Will just be "plum tickled" to see that gal start putting them in the 10 ring.
    My advice would be to let her get comfortable with bullseye, and get over her flinching issue, before going on to point shooting. Once she gets into a comfort zone, she'll be better able to get her head around the concept that accurate isn't always better, and that it's better to use 8 shots to make 8 holes in 8 organs than to use 8 shots to make 1 hole in 1 organ.

Sounds like she's on her way. :)
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I just recently became really interested in guns when my husband mentioned taking his 9mm to the range to practice. I grew up around guns but never really gave them any thought until then. I'm proud to say I now have my CWP and own a Smith & Wesson M&P 9C (which I absolutely LOVE to shoot) and a Ruger LCP (which I haven't figured out how to shoot naturally yet-the trigger pull is HORRENDOUS and the way my finger fits naturally on the trigger doesn't do the job). I have to practice with it a lot and if I can't make it work I'll have to sell it and try something else. Sig Sauer p238 maybe? The M&P doesn't fit in my purse or on my person very well, but it makes a wonderful house/automobile/hotel room gun.

Anyone else had problems with the Ruger? I considered a trigger shoe, but hubby doesn't think it would be a good idea to modify the gun in any way. TIA!

Quote Originally Posted by ulatek View Post
    I would just like to say I've seen more and more women at the range lately both shooting and purchasing firearms. I am really thrilled to see more women taking the steps to protect themselves and their families. I am really happy to see everyone out practicing with their chosen firearm as well and not just letting it sit in a drawer. It's important to be comfortable with the weapon and not just hope to be ready if something goes wrong.

Stay sharp,

Chuck
    It's even better when they're ht women
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It's even better when they're ht women
    Leslie Easterbrook.

10. well thank you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    -06, You didn't mention what caliber she was shooting, but I start every new shooter, male or female, with .22 LR and a heavy gun so that they have absolutely no fear and they (and I) can see what they are doing themselves that cannot be attributed to the gun or the caliber. I only "graduate" people that can properly shoot a .22 and have solved any inherent problems established by my target analysis guide. Besides, .22 is so much cheaper to shoot while getting someone used to all of the right way to do things!

Also, if it is the noise that is scaring her and causing the flinch, use the small, in-ear earplugs WITH headphones. You will have to touch her shoulder and yell to be heard, but the gun will become much less intimidating when it can't be heard. It's a mouse gun if it doesn't roar!

Good luck on keeping her in the sport and I hope she enjoys it more!
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast