Graduation gift for daughter - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graduation gift for daughter

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws tend to be police officers, gun store personnel, and CCW instructors.
    You forgot to mention that the ONLY true source should be a 'NavyLCDR'.

You should really change your username to Richard Cranium.

You must really hold yourself in high regard for all the rude comments you to tend to make. You are the definition of 'know it all'.

I have a hard time really believeing you are a "real' Navy LCDR. Are you sure that you are not just a Sea Scout or that your daddy is the one in the 'real' Navy?

I surely don't remember having all this time to post, any time of the day, when I was in the Navy. I wonder what your upper chain would have to say about this.

Why don't you get off your high horse and answer questions that you some input and stop trying to belittle others on this forum.

Grow up!

KK

3. What a great graduation gift.

I am female, own a Ruger LC9 and it is my EDC. It is small enough for concealment, doesn't have bad recoil for such a small gun, and at 9mm, I feel it's sufficient for self-defense. I am going to soon sell my XD-40 SC and my husband is going to transfer his Beretta Px4 Storm (.40 cal) to me for my home defense gun. I was brand new to shooting when I got the XD and while it is absolutely a FINE gun and shoots incredibly accurately, the recoil is enough to give me a sore wrist after 50-100 rounds at the range. The rotating barrel of the larger Px4 makes for what seems like almost no recoil. I mention this only to support the notion that I'm a believer now that a bigger gun even for a smaller person is often the better choice.

I know you're getting her only one gun. Maybe the way to choose between, say, the 2 I mentioned would be to determine whether it's mostly for cc or OC or home defense.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Since you pointed it out: 18 USC 922(x) spells things out in a lot more detail. But with those exceptions, especially the part about "exceptions with written parental consent, except under certain other circumstances," there could be a LOT of devils hidden in those details.
    Please notice, however, that 18 USC 922 (x) applies only to persons under the age of 18.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I wouldn't buy her one to "own" but rather one to use at the range. In the end, when she grows up a bit, "give" it to her for her 21st. I live on a state line between ks and mo. Over in kansas city , mo they passed a law concerning youth being posession of a gun. Iys night and day here with 2 states many counties and lots of cities its tough to know what you can and cant do sometimes from block to block. Lol

Let her pick it out.

"Originally Posted by NavyLCDR"
    The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws tend to be police officers, gun store personnel, and CCW instructors.

...... very true.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

All right. So after some review - I will concede that NavyLCDR's information is spot-on.

However - while I was unsure of whether Federal law prohibited possession by persons under 21, I was NOT WRONG about what I said in my original post. It's a matter of semantics. Federal law prohibits an FFL from transferring a handgun to someone under the age of 21. (Which IN EFFECT prevents persons under 21 from purchasing a firearm, except through a private transaction.)

I also concede that "juvenile" as defined in 18 USC 922(x.) means "persons under the age of 18."

Federal law does not appear to prohibit possession by a person under 21. And a VERY QUICK look at Indiana law seems to indicate that concealed carry permits may be issued to persons 18 years of age or older. Again, I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, so this is not to be construed as legal advice.

In any case - there you have it. I stand by my assertion that, while my information was not PERFECTLY accurate, it cannot be considered "misinformation," because following my advice to "check Federal and state laws to make sure you're not in violation" would not have gotten the OP in trouble. I erred, but on the side of caution.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

8. Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I erred, but on the side of caution.
    Unfortunately, erring on the side of caution, especially by those in the field who should have more accurate knowledge than the average Joe Citizen, is how we end up with our rights being eroded away. First, it keeps people from exercising rights which they might desire to exercise because someone gave them information erring on the side of caution rather than what the actual statute says. Second, if people believe an action is already illegal, such as purchasing a handgun at the age of 18, when a more restrictive piece of legislation is introduced (such as raising the purchasing or carrying age limit of handguns to 21), people will not be as likely to oppose such law if they believe the action was illegal already.

The law is about the exact meaning of words. "Technicalities" and "semantics" are very important in law, and often mean the difference between innocence and guilt.

Thank you for taking the time to do the research and providing us with confirmation as to what the actual law is.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Holy crap man, you're like a rabid dog. If you're not screwing with someone and making sure you 'set them straight', you're not happy!

KK

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Unfortunately, erring on the side of caution, especially by those in the field who should more accurate knowledge than the average Joe Citizen, is how we end up with our rights being eroded away. First, it keeps people from exercising rights which they might desire to exercise because someone gave them information erring on the side of caution rather than what the actual statute says. Second, if people believe an action is already illegal, such as purchasing a handgun at the age of 18, when a more restrictive piece of legislation is introduced (such as raising the purchasing or carrying age limit of handguns to 21), people will not be as likely to oppose such law if they believe the action was illegal already.

The law is about the exact meaning of words. "Technicalities" and "semantics" are very important in law, and often mean the difference between innocence and guilt.

Thank you for taking the time to do the research and providing us with confirmation as to what the actual law is.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    Holy crap man, you're like a rabid dog. If you're not screwing with someone and making sure you 'set them straight', you're not happy!

KK
    Nope. Just explaining where my point of view comes from. It seems like the words,

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,"

are more important to some people than to others.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Ok, zip up and put the rulers away. I think you left the tracks, both of you, in regard to the OP. Here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by mdorsett View Post
    Told my daughter I would give her a handgun when she gradutes High School. I've been teaching her with a Ruger 22/45, but want to get her a CCW. Suggestions?
    I agree with those who stated to let her shoot a few and see what she likes. If not for CCW, size does not become an issue. If it is for CCW, smaller is easier to hide but the trade off is slower follow up shots due to recoil and the time needed to get back on target.

Some say 9mm would be minimum caliber to consider while others feel .380 will work. I myself believe as I was taught in that "any gun will do if you will do".
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12