Graduation gift for daughter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graduation gift for daughter

Graduation gift for daughter

Told my daughter I would give her a handgun when she gradutes High School. I've been teaching her with a Ruger 22/45, but want to get her a CCW. Suggestions?

3. Rent a few different guns

Expose her to a variety of different guns. I was shocked when my wife's favorite was a .45 revolver.
    That is her favorite to shoot, but she got something smaller for her EDC.

First off - check your state and federal laws. I know for certain that someone under 21 cannot purchase a handgun under federal law...but it is unclear to me whether the same law prohibits possession.

With that said, once you've determined that no laws are being broken, I recommend the "try before you buy" approach. I'd maybe start with some compact 1911 single-action pistols, since that is what the Ruger 22/45 is designed to mimic.

But it could also be argued that, for self defense, something along the lines of a Glock or Smith&Wesson M&P series would be better. (double action only, safety on trigger, one action to firing.) Good value for money with these as well. You can get a Glock or M&P in the $400-$500 range in a variety of calibers all day...while the 1911 pistols are mostly available in .45 and good ones are $800 and up.

Another possibility would be a double-action-only revolver. Smith&Wesson has some good ones, as does Charter Arms. Both are worth checking into.

Obviously it all comes down to what the young lady is the most comfortable with. But those suggestions ought to at least get you started!
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Even though they are a lower end Handgun Charter Arms makes some really nice Handguns, Aimed towards the ladies
    My wife ended up getting the Para Hawg .45 ACP It fits her smaller hands like a glove. Because of the Quaiity Para puts into, it's Manufacturing of it's Handguns it has Low Recoil. As others have Stated take her to an Gun Shop, and let her handle Several different handguns until she finds one that fits her hands.

She will know when she has the right Handgun for her. By the way Great Graduation Gift. Good Luck, Happy Shooting

As stated above. Let her shoot and handle as many guns as possible. My wife LOVES the shiny 1911's, but can't stand to shoot my 3" 1911 (she had carpal tunnel surgery a few years ago). She has no issues with a standard A1, but who wants to carry that concealed? After trying over 50 handguns, we found that the M&P had a perfect natural point of aim (she picked up the gun, brought it to firing position, and the sights were aligned). We tried this with a compact model and point of aim was the same. She now has a S&W M&P 40C (compact) and loves it!
    Wisconsin Carry Inc - Founders Club Member
    NRA - Life Member
    3rd generation US Air Force Veteran

7. I say go for a single-stack, 9mm, or .380 pistol. A .380 is nice because it is so small and easy to conceal in a purse, and wouldn't be too much of a bother - in other words, it wouldn't force her to make any life-altering lifestyle changes. Plus, girls usually like light-weight & small (i.e. cute) things - drives me nuts, but oh well.

My suggestions:

1) 9mm: Ruger LC9
    a) Has great reviews
    b) 9mm ammo is the cheapest
    2) .380: Ruger LCP or Taurus TCP
    a) Both have great reviews and are easy to conceal
    b) The Taurus comes in Pink! 2-TI738039BSSP - Taurus 738 TCP Semi Automatic Handgun .380 ACP 3.3" Barrel 6 Rounds Pink Polymer Frame Black Stainless Steel Finish

I checked the OC map, and it states 18 and over can OC with permit. OpenCarry.org - State Information For Indiana
    A lot of people think women should have a small gun, but sometimes that backfires. A full size gun handles recoil a lot better. And kudos to any parent getting their kid a gun for graduation. Under 21 you can possess or use a handgun, but not buy a hand gun from an FFL dealer. IANAL so check locally before you beat me up if I am wrong on anything I say. My 14 year old son can't carry a HG at any time, but I can let him rip it up at the range with my supervision. The Ruger 22/45 is a beauty to start with. Start slow, my son started out with a .22 rifle, an now shoots my 9mm, AK-47, and 12 GA. The key is to not rush it. I'm not sure if they have it in your area, but check to see if they have the NRA "Women on Target" program or something similar. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    First off - check your state and federal laws. I know for certain that someone under 21 cannot purchase a handgun under federal law...but it is unclear to me whether the same law prohibits possession.
    Shouldn't an "instructor" know such basic information?

1. There is no Federal law that prohibits a person under 21 from purchasing a handgun. 18 USC 922(x) prohibits the sale, delivery, or otherwise transfering of a handgun to a person under the age of 18. 18 USC 922(b) prohibits an FFL from transferring a handgun to a person under 21.

2. 18 USC 922(x) prohibits the possession of handgun by a person under the age of 18 (with exceptions).

3. State law may be more restrictive than Federal law.

The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws tend to be police officers, gun store personnel, and CCW instructors.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by mdorsett View Post
    Suggestions?
    Let her pick out the gun that feels the best to her in her hands and that she can comfortably operate the slide, if an automatic.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Shouldn't an "instructor" know such basic information?

1. There is no Federal law that prohibits a person under 21 from purchasing a handgun. 18 USC 922(x) prohibits the sale, delivery, or otherwise transfering of a handgun to a person under the age of 18. 18 USC 922(b) prohibits an FFL from transferring a handgun to a person under 21.

2. 18 USC 922(x) prohibits the possession of handgun by a person under the age of 18 (with exceptions).

3. State law may be more restrictive than Federal law.

The three biggest sources of misinformation regarding firearms laws tend to be police officers, gun store personnel, and CCW instructors.
    I really do not appreciate the rude use of quotation marks around the word "instructor" as if to imply that I am somehow not a "real" instructor. I would expect more polite behavior from an officer and "gentleman."

AS AN INSTRUCTOR...you are correct, I did not know that information off the top of my head. I am over the age of 21. All my students so far have been over the age of 21. So it is not a question I deal with on a frequent basis.

I tried to read 18 USC 922. It is lengthy. And the phrasing is legal gobbledygook. Since I am NOT an attorney, I turned to a secondary (but likely reliable) source for interpretation. According to NRA-ILA.org:

Ineligible Persons

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

- Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.

- Fugitives from justice.

- Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.

- Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.

- Illegal aliens.

- Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.

- Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.

- Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.

- Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.

- Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.

- Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

- Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition. Under limited conditions, relief from disability may be obtained from the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, or through a pardon, expungement, restoration of rights, or setting aside of a conviction.
    The phrasing of the NRA-ILA's interpretation gave me pause: "Persons less than 21 years of age FOR THE PURCHASE of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle." As if perhaps to suggest that the restriction applied to purchase only, and not to possession, receipt, shipment, or transportation.

Since it was late at night, and I really didn't want to bother my attorney for an interpretation of Federal law - instead I opted to alert the original poster to the fact that he MIGHT be in violation of Federal law by giving a handgun to his daughter, if she is under 21.

AS AN INSTRUCTOR, and without giving legal advice (since again, I am not an attorney), I performed my due diligence in alerting the poster in this manner, and encouraged him to do the research on his own.

Since you pointed it out: 18 USC 922(x) spells things out in a lot more detail. But with those exceptions, especially the part about "exceptions with written parental consent, except under certain other circumstances," there could be a LOT of devils hidden in those details.

So yes. Perhaps I could stand a refresher on 18 USC 922. That doesn't make me a "fake" or "bad" instructor. I'm not perfect, but I take my responsibility VERY seriously, even when just answering forum posts.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast