New to guns - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to guns

1. Thumbs up

Jwmama1 Im sorry for what you had to go through and I am glad you lived through it. I wont repeat what everyone else has said here as they all have good advice.; My comments are directed at the choice of carry you have, I own several Bersa 380's and I love them. It will loosen up with use. Usually 500 or so rounds to break it in. The are an accurate pistol right out of the box and as for Self defense, you really dont need anything bigger. The loads for them now a days pack a good punch and besides, A pistol no matter the caliber is a man stopper. Shot placement is everything. I offer you a website for Bersa owners, Bersa Chat Forum - The Front Page Many fine people there and more information than you could imagine on bersa's and ammo and any other subject you can think of for this line of weapon. If it were my choice Id stay with what you have and learn to use it well. Practice often and yes that guns slide will loosen up. Good luck to you and hope to see you at Bersachat..........

3. glad to hear that. Then, my suggestion would be to get 5-600 rounds through it to see if it loosens up with breaking it in. If it is still too tight, do as someone else suggested and take it to a gun smith to have an easier spring installed. My dad is a gunsmith and he has done action jobs on my cowboy guns to make the trigger pull easier and he has put new springs in for me as well. It is a relatively easy job and shouldn't cost too much. (by the way, I am so sorry about what happened to you, but am so proud of you for refusing to be "the" victim and in taking your own safety into your own hands. Way to be a survivor and not a victim! I hope they caught the scum and you were able to get some JUSTICE! I never say closure, as that word just makes no sense to me!

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee

Cool

I have seen a lot of good comments on your post. Sorry to hear about your bad encounter, but happy you survived. As for the lady in the store, you can remind her that when seconds count, call 9-1-1... THEY are only minutes away.

Good luck in getting that slide racked.
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

First question my answer would be push the frame forward don't pull the slide back to you learned this when I was a child and it helped my weak 8 year old body operate the gun better. As for the second question tell people your real story where a gun could have protected you from being violated!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Hearing about things like that infuriates me. I really hate knowing that we live amongst savages but this is the reality of the world today. I don't have much to add as there is some excellent advice in this thread. I will say don't carry JHP rounds in a .380 though. The .380doesn't pass the FBI's testing standards for minimum penetration with a JHP round. The round doesn't have the power to penetrate thick clothing. I'd carry FMJ only or move up to a larger caliber. I'd never carry anything less than 9mm but that's my personal choice.
    I'd also suggest taking some self defense training. There may be a time when you can't draw in time or have access to your gun and having the skills to fight off an attack with your bare hands becomes the difference between life or death. What if you are on your way to your daughter's school for example? I've studied several martial arts and I find that Krav Maga is the best because it's simpe to learn in a short time, easy to use, and very effective. Wikipedia has a good write up on it here:

Krav Maga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jwmama1

I agree with the majority of the information that has been posted to your request. I would surely like to offer my sympathy to you and your family for having to experience such a horrific encounter. Practice, both live fire and dry fire(I recommend weekly as a minimum) with your handgun is paramount! Practice reacting to different scenarios you might imagine....BUT ALWAYS REMEMBER....after practicing dry firing and RELOADING your handgun with LIVE ammunition, that the handgun is NOW LOADED and ready for carry once more, and your dry fire PRACTICE is OVER.
    Having said that....I strongly encourage all of the persons I work with to CARRY LOADED with a round in the CHAMBER at ALL times. Your attacker simply WILL NOT allow you the time to locate the handgun, pull the slide to the rear and prepare to fire. In my opinion carrying a handgun without a cartridge IN THE CHAMBER is simply false security. Give it some consideration, do more research and I hope you will find a SAFE and secure carry decision.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

8. Quote Originally Posted by Self Defense CWP View Post
    jwmama1
    Having said that....I strongly encourage all of the persons I work with to CARRY LOADED with a round in the CHAMBER at ALL times. Your attacker simply WILL NOT allow you the time to locate the handgun, pull the slide to the rear and prepare to fire. In my opinion carrying a handgun without a cartridge IN THE CHAMBER is simply false security.
    Good point and another reason to consider a revolver if not comfortable with semi-auto. Point and shoot, no thought to anything else.

Tell people your real story? ...

Quote Originally Posted by WDKIV View Post
    .... As for the second question tell people your real story where a gun could have protected you from being violated!
    I disagree with this advice, but my bias is that I have a preference for privacy and keeping a low profile in public...

Not everyone wants to announce to the world--especially to *insensitive and nosy strangers*--that they have been raped. Would you? Would you really tell a perfect stranger who has already judged you negatively that you have been raped/sodomized?

I may sound like a broken record in here, but again I must recommend Kathy Jackson's site Cornered Cat with excellent advice for all shooters...especially women.
    Gun Control: The [liberal] theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound...L. Neil Smith

Your first handgun may not be your last, find and practice regularly both dry fire and live and get comfortable with whatever you plan to defend yourself with! My gal has 4 different handguns and uses them for different situations. She has also sold ones that she couldn't operate easily as compared to others. For example, her thumb was to short to hit the mag release without twisting the weapon completely in her grip, or the slide was too difficult or painful for her to rack. Other things to consider, if you are wounded, incapacitated in one hand, can you fully function the weapon using only one, your support or gun hand? If not, these are things you should be considering, and practicing. I am sure your husband is a good teacher, but strongly consider taking some handgun training courses from a good instructor. There are many methods of racking the slide without both hands, but if you are having difficulty just checking the chamber, I am wondering if this gun isn't the best for you. Handguns are like men, it takes a bit to find the one you love and want to keep!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast