Wife draws at Walmart - Page 6
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife draws at Walmart

Look, we all know the proper thing she should have done. Tell her Gomer! Well, she should have ran up to the bad guy yelling citizen's arrest, citizen's arrest, that's what she should have done Andy. But gee Andy that's a powerful gun she has Andy, I'm glad it didn't go off.

So she reacted to a situation, handled the gun properly, but should not have said she is a cop now. She would have fit well in a Hollywood movie with her answer. Go home everyone, no one was hurt, she put her gun away and police took over. Had the guy started shooting, she most likely would have took him down.

3. The problem here wouldn't have been the Police if she actually had to fire at the idiot, its what a ahole of a Prosecutor would have done once they found out her response to "Are you a cop." Is it defensible? Yes of course with the right Defense lawyer.

Remember perception is nine tenth of the law. Why would she draw her weapon out if she was "some distance" away from the threat? She could have easily said, "No, I'm not" in lieu of "I am now". Did this person threaten her personally? Did she see a weapon? How tall was the person, what kind of clothes, race, eye color, etc, etc.

Lawyers do the same thing we're doing, take apart the situation to Argue whether someone did something any reasonable person would have done.

Just remember to minimize the impact of your own actions being used against you.
    When all other methods of protest have been dismantled, the system leaves us with only two options: stand and fight, or kneel and beg for mercy. All you need to know is what YOU would do when faced with that choice.

Weapon at the ready; cover; and concealment...Perfect!

Bravo Zulu to her!
    G'Day and G'lock

Quote Originally Posted by leadsender View Post
    I have no problem with people stepping up or into a situation when needed. However, were was the imminent danger to one self or others. Someone coming in screaming profanity and issuing orders to the staff is crazy but, was there a need for the wife to step up or into that situation. You stated that you did not know if the person was armed. Let LEO do what they do.
    Did she step up or into the situation? Or did she go into condition red and hide?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lordy Lordy....daring to post on this forum is like a Marine stepping into the open to draw sniper fire....an amazing broadside of what ifs and interpretations based on a plain English OP. What is it with the need to tear down people instead of give a well deserved "Atta girl!" Anyone who can't understand the meaning of "I am now" in that situation can't see the grit in that remark.

I think arrest is pretty much common law and the same in all states. When I was LEO in Oregon and North Carolina both trainings advised that the arrest by a police officer was identical to a citizen's arrest. Arrest is arrest. I was taught in both trainings that the only difference between police and civilians was the right to go heavily armed and the right to serve warrants. But that was then, and that was there so I'm sure others have different mileage....

7. This!

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Not what I would have done but whatever works for you as long as you're willing to face the consequences. Cussing and yelling at staff wouldn't come close to flying as a justifiable reason to draw your weapon in several states. I worked in retail for only 2 years and if I had a nickel for every customer got out of control and started cussing...
    As far as staying out of sight and just monitoring the situation though good on her. I think her witty cop response probably wasn't the smartest idea but not a huge deal either. If something had gone down and that lady gave a media interview afterwards saying your wife said she was a cop, the police probably wouldn't be too happy and it'd be more of a bureaucratic pain in the ass than anything during the follow up investigation.
    I don't know the laws in AZ but where I live you cannot pull your gun unless your life or someone's nearby is in immediate danger. I'm not sure if we are not hearing the whole story as to what kind of threat this individual posed but in my state, if she was caught pulling her gun in that situation (without a deadly threat) she would be arrested and never be able to concealed carry again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8gunz View Post
    Wife was shopping in a local Walmart earlier today when a crazy guy came in screaming profanity and issuing orders to the staff. Not sure if he was armed. Somebody said, "call 911" at which time my wife, who was some distance from the action, drew her Ruger .40 from her IWB and kept it pointed downward in a ready stance concealed behind a structure. A woman next to here whispered, "are you a cop"? Which she replied, "I am now". The cops came and subdued the guy and elliminated the threat so she simply reholstered and checked out. She was a nervous wreck but she acted properly and confidently. SHE DONE GOOD!! Bravo Zulu
    Now as an instructor you know this was wrong, right? This person threatened no harm to anyone, let alone your wife. The story, as you write it, contains no threat. Acting strange and screaming orders to the staff is not a threat. This story, if true, violates everything a certified instructor would teach in PP. You don't introduce a gun without a threat. If someone draws a gun whenever some wingnut screams and carries-on we'd be drawing guns all over the place.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    What is it with the need to tear down people instead of give a well deserved "Atta girl!" Anyone who can't understand the meaning of "I am now" in that situation can't see the grit in that remark.
    Because an "atta girl" is not deserved. Her actions in drawing a gun in that situation border on criminal.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by docmath View Post
    That's what a LAW abiding citizen can and should do! She did everything right...concealed herself, and took aim at the criminal...PERFECT, nobody got hurt, yet she was ready! Great job! YOU make us CHL's holders proud. That's what it's all about...defending innocent people and stopping the bad guys! You're awesome!
    She did everything wrong. What's wrong with you people. Get some proper training.
    What prevented her from retreating to the other end of the store where she could exit via the other door? Very bad.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Time to open a NEW can of worms here.
    There are a great many factors that are unknown to us as we where not there.

Take into account she is a woman. Not calling here weak, just that she's a lady.
    Most women tend to be smaller and less powerful than a male counter part.
    How close was the danger? Another total unknown (to a degree).
    Was this mans behavior like "homeless man crazy"? Was it like "bath salts crazy"? Another unknown.
    We all know that you don't need a gun to kill another human. Hands and feet can do the job with enough motivation.
    I think a lot of the replies are from a mans point of view as to what constitutes a danger.
    Why were there calls to dial 911 if this was not perceived as a danger to the staff?
    I have worked retail for the last six years as well and I recall and incident that caused quite a bit of fear among the staff.
    Police had to be called on that occasion.

I don't know what this poor woman went through above and beyond the short story posted by the OP. I can only assume that it was enough of a threat to draw her weapon.
    If it was anything like my incident, I can understand her fear. Things in a situation like hers can go from bad to very bad real quick.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast