Wife draws at Walmart - Page 7
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wife draws at Walmart

I'm still trying to figure out why the heck the woman behind her was asking her if she was a cop. What difference does it make?
    (except maybe that your wife is a better shot than a NY cop... j/k)

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    Time to open a NEW can of worms here.
    There are a great many factors that are unknown to us as we where not there.

Take into account she is a woman. Not calling here weak, just that she's a lady.
    Most women tend to be smaller and less powerful than a male counter part.
    How close was the danger? Another total unknown (to a degree).
    Was this mans behavior like "homeless man crazy"? Was it like "bath salts crazy"? Another unknown.
    We all know that you don't need a gun to kill another human. Hands and feet can do the job with enough motivation.
    I think a lot of the replies are from a mans point of view as to what constitutes a danger.
    Why were there calls to dial 911 if this was not perceived as a danger to the staff?
    I have worked retail for the last six years as well and I recall and incident that caused quite a bit of fear among the staff.
    Police had to be called on that occasion.

I don't know what this poor woman went through above and beyond the short story posted by the OP. I can only assume that it was enough of a threat to draw her weapon.
    If it was anything like my incident, I can understand her fear. Things in a situation like hers can go from bad to very bad real quick.

Sent from behind enemy lines.
    While a woman may be allowed use of force sooner (in some situations) than a stronger man there is no evidence that she was under any threat of bodily harm. And you can't whip it out every time somebody acts crazy.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrewerx View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why the heck the woman behind her was asking her if she was a cop. What difference does it make?
    (except maybe that your wife is a better shot than a NY cop... j/k)
    Are you a cop seems to be the default question to anyone out in the public carrying a firearm. I get asked that question every other day. And you're right it makes no difference, neither party has an obligation to protect others.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Now as an instructor you know this was wrong, right? This person threatened no harm to anyone, let alone your wife. The story, as you write it, contains no threat. Acting strange and screaming orders to the staff is not a threat. This story, if true, violates everything a certified instructor would teach in PP. You don't introduce a gun without a threat. If someone draws a gun whenever some wingnut screams and carries-on we'd be drawing guns all over the place.
    Does it not depend on what orders were being given? I agree with you, despite my first post, that if the situation was dangerous she should have taken the opportunity to leave and left. Some people can't do that whether it's being cornered or some higher moral grounds, but in the end she was there. Now, if the orders were from a drunk wobbling around being foolish, then yes it was unnecessary to draw. But what if, and we might hear the truth later, the orders were "get on your knees," "give me (item) or i'll kill you." Needs more information.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Does it not depend on what orders were being given? I agree with you, despite my first post, that if the situation was dangerous she should have taken the opportunity to leave and left. Some people can't do that whether it's being cornered or some higher moral grounds, but in the end she was there. Now, if the orders were from a drunk wobbling around being foolish, then yes it was unnecessary to draw. But what if, and we might hear the truth later, the orders were "get on your knees," "give me (item) or i'll kill you." Needs more information.
    As the OP wrote, she wasn't being given any orders. The wingnut was issuing orders to the staff. She wasn't involved at all. And that higher moral ground doesn't pay the lawyer when she's arrested. I would prefer to retreat if at all able to do so. Walmart's people are at the mercy of Walmart's employee policy. If employees aren't allowed to carry OTJ then protecting them is someone else's problem.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    As the OP wrote, she wasn't being given any orders. The wingnut was issuing orders to the staff. She wasn't involved at all. And that higher moral ground doesn't pay the lawyer when she's arrested. I would prefer to retreat if at all able to do so. Walmart's people are at the mercy of Walmart's employee policy. If employees aren't allowed to carry OTJ then protecting them is someone else's problem.
    While I completely agree, as a learning experience, if for whatever reason it's not possible to leave the situation, did she not do the right thing? If I were in a situation I could not escape, I believe concealing/covering yourself with the firearm at the ready, keeping my eyes up watching the threats is the right thing to do. Don't read me wrong, I think if she had the option to leave she should have, but she didn't for "some reason" we don't know, at that point, did she do wrong?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gr8gunz View Post
    Wife was shopping in a local Walmart earlier today when a crazy guy came in screaming profanity and issuing orders to the staff. Not sure if he was armed. Somebody said, "call 911" at which time my wife, who was some distance from the action, drew her Ruger .40 from her IWB and kept it pointed downward in a ready stance concealed behind a structure. A woman next to here whispered, "are you a cop"? Which she replied, "I am now". The cops came and subdued the guy and elliminated the threat so she simply reholstered and checked out. She was a nervous wreck but she acted properly and confidently. SHE DONE GOOD!!
    Bravo Zulu
    While I honestly do commend your wife for carrying her concealed sidearm and I also applaud her for being 'prepared to act', I do have a few sincere questions/comments in regards to your above statements which I highlighted in bold.

1) Does some "crazy guy screaming & cursing at staff" = Deadly Threat?
    2) If she was "not sure that he was armed", then why did she feel it necessary to draw her sidearm?
    3) If someone said "Call 911", does that always = A Deadly Threat?
    4) You stated that your wife was "some distance from the action"...Does that mean that she could not clearly see what was happening?
    5) Is it wise to pull out your sidearm into a 'ready stance' while concealed 'some distance away from the action' while not being able to clearly see what's actually going on?
    6) Is it wise to respond to a bystanders question of "Are you a cop?" with the reply of "I am now."? Because she 'Is Not' actually a cop is she? What if that same bystander would have informed the responding LEO's that your wife "Said she was a cop"? Could that not be a problem if TSHTF?
    7) According to your own statement, she was "A Nervous Wreck", yet you also added that she "Acted Properly & Confidently".
    I honestly have to 'somewhat' disagree with your assessment of her actions in this situation.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just my .02 cents.
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Yes folks Treo really did stop back in and had to get in on this train wreck

I almost didn’t post this but I can’t let this one go. Whether or not the woman claimed to be a cop I have to ask why she even got involved in a situation that had nothing to do with her in the first place, especially since she was “some distance away from the action” I don’t carry a gun to deal with other people’s problems (and I don’t want to hear about someone getting their ass beat in a parking lot that’s not what happened here). Your wife could (and should) have minded her own business of simply called the cops.

My avatar aside, carrying a firearm does not make me the masked avenger. I carry for self defense when all other options have failed.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    While I honestly do commend your wife for carrying her concealed sidearm and I also applaud her for being 'prepared to act', I do have a few sincere questions/comments in regards to your above statements which I highlighted in bold.

1) Does some "crazy guy screaming & cursing at staff" = Deadly Threat?
    2) If she was "not sure that he was armed", then why did she feel it necessary to draw her sidearm?
    3) If someone said "Call 911", does that always = A Deadly Threat?
    4) You stated that your wife was "some distance from the action"...Does that mean that she could not clearly see what was happening?
    5) Is it wise to pull out your sidearm into a 'ready stance' while concealed 'some distance away from the action' while not being able to clearly see what's actually going on?
    6) Is it wise to respond to a bystanders question of "Are you a cop?" with the reply of "I am now."? Because she 'Is Not' actually a cop is she? What if that same bystander would have informed the responding LEO's that your wife "Said she was a cop"? Could that not be a problem if TSHTF?
    7) According to your own statement, she was "A Nervous Wreck", yet you also added that she "Acted Properly & Confidently".
    I honestly have to 'somewhat' disagree with your assessment of her actions in this situation.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, just my .02 cents.
    Those are some much higher value questions, and raise some questions in the minds of many. If anything the lady is really lucky she is not trying to find a pro-gun lawyer to defend her from charges she could have face.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I almost didn’t post this but I can’t let this one go. Whether or not the woman claimed to be a cop I have to ask why she even got involved in a situation that had nothing to do with her in the first place, especially since she was “some distance away from the action” I don’t carry a gun to deal with other people’s problems (and I don’t want to hear about someone getting their ass beat in a parking lot that’s not what happened here). Your wife could (and should) have minded her own business of simply called the cops.

My avatar aside, carrying a firearm does not make me the masked avenger. I carry for self defense when all other options have failed.
    Maybe it was her first visit to a WalMart, nor has never Googled "People of Walmart" to understand Wally World is a weirdo magnet. The first visit can be an eye opener for the naive.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

She did not visually observe a threating situation that posed eminent danger to her self or others. Are we going to keep beating this dog? (NO offense meant toward the female)
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast