advice for 1st time gun owning female - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: advice for 1st time gun owning female

1. Go to as many gun shops as you can hold every handgun you can keep track of what feels good to YOU for weight and fit. Then go to ranges and shoot as many as YOU can. Keep track of likes and dislikes as far as fit, recoil how well YOU can conceal it and draw it. Then buy what fits YOU the best and ignore what everyone else THINKS..

My advice is simple and to the point. Don't listen to people telling you that a woman's first gun should be small, or be a revolver because it's easier to operate. Trust me, if you can work a manual transmission car, or cook a meal, you can easily operate a semi-automatic handgun without any issues with a little bit of training and some practice. As for a small gun being better, smaller guns kick more. They lack the weight, and the balance of a gun with a larger frame and longer barrel in the same caliber. Get what you feel comfortable using. Try everything you can get your hands on. Read up. Take in all the information you can, but let the final decision be yours. Rent a few different guns to see what you like, too. Revolver? Auto? 1911 or Glock? everything has a different feel or personality to it at the range.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

4. Another thing to consider is what those you may need to team up with for defense and survival are using. Being able to share ammo and magazines can be a big plus in a tight situation. My Glock 19 can use all my 9mm Glock magazines and my 17 can use all but the 2 that are made for the 19 and are too short for the 17. Staying with the same make and caliber can make it simpler to stockpile ammo and to make sure you have loaded magazines available when you need them.

My wife is about your size. She too is just under 5' tall and weighs less than 100 pounds. We started her with a Taurus 25 caliber to allow her to learn and become comfortable with a firearm. She would try different handguns at the range after that, and finally settled on a Bersa 380, which she loves. Try several out at the range, and find one you like. Shoot safe.

As several have stated, go to gun stores and make a list out of all the guns that feel comfortable in the hand. Take that list and borrow or rent as many as possible because what feels good in the hand at the store might be a real dog on the range. I have shot many guns from 22LR to 45's. I find that many 9s and 45's shoot more smoothly than the 40s. That means nothing to anyone but myself because the correct fit has more to do with my opinion. The full size gun is always going to be better for a 1st time shooter than the smaller "concealable" ones. The shorter barrels and lighter weight make them more "intermediate to advanced" guns than outright beginner ones.

I would caution against guns that are on the market for under $500. Do your research. Many have "spotty" reliability and warranty service.

Eh, I'm not sure on the under $500 mark. Maybe under $350. There are plenty of good micro-compacts in the $400-600 range (street price) like the Shield, Nano, SCCY, Kahr, Kel-Tec, and the list goes on. Under $350 and you start getting into the Hi-Point catagory, which I agree to avoid.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

You are correct about getting a micro compact under $500. Micro compacts are a poor choice for a first gun. I have found few first time lady shooters who can shoot well with one and trust me, I work with a LOT of ladies. As a female instructor and shooter, I may choose a Shield for concealed carry if it is the only thing I can hide, I wouldn't want to stand at a range and put hundreds of rounds through it. I have heard good reviews from some of my friends about the Beretta Nano but haven't experienced it myself. My daughter and I really like the Kahr CW9 but NOBODAY likes my KelTec PF9 (which may be reliable but a real bear to shoot). My favorite carry gun is a CZ 2075 RAMI (not the polymer one). The best conceal carry option that I've found for controllability, reliability and accuracy is the Sig P238 and 938. Yes, I know they are a little over $500 but worth every penny.
    Texas Shooting and Safety Academy
    www.txshootsafe.com

Quote Originally Posted by MDT View Post
    You are correct about getting a micro compact under $500. Micro compacts are a poor choice for a first gun. I have found few first time lady shooters who can shoot well with one and trust me, I work with a LOT of ladies. As a female instructor and shooter, I may choose a Shield for concealed carry if it is the only thing I can hide, I wouldn't want to stand at a range and put hundreds of rounds through it.
    The Shield might actually be better for people with smaller hands. I have tiny hands, even for a girl, with long fingers, and can shoot the Shield all day comfortably (not that I've tried; don't have that much ammo, but don't even notice 150 rounds), but I don't need the extended mag to get a full grip on it. I think I can actually hang on to it a little better than people who are bigger and stronger than I am. To each his/her own, obviously... you never know what someone will like! I'd be more insistent about having someone try something that small before buying, of course.

And you're right, it does conceal beautifully!
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Shoot as many diff guns you can before you buy, I would consider 9mm to be a minimum caliber for self defence, you will get disagreements on that, and get the smallest and lightest gun that you are comfortable shooting, bigger heavyer guns get left at home, and not carried, and on the rifle that really depends on what exactly you intend to do with it, if your going to the range and do targets a 10/22 ruger will work great, if your into home defence, do not bother with a rifle get a 20 gauge shotgun, if your wanting to do some hunting or a little longer range shooting a 308 caliber bolt action rifle, Savage, Remington, would be good choices, just remember with a rifle anything bigger than the 10/22 is going to have some recoil, not bad but something to be ready for, and again if possible try to shoot a similar rifle before buying
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

11. I'm also looking for my first gun. I've already done my concealed carry class and applied for my permit. I want something for concealed carry. I talked to a female sheriff and she recommended the Glock 19 Gen 4 or the Glock 26 Gen 4. I've also looked at S&W M&P Shield. I'm confused and a little worried that some of these guns will be to heavy for me to carry. I have some not to severe back problems and don't want something so heavy that I'll end up leaving it at home. I also want to eventually get a .22 pistol of some kind for target practice.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast