advice for 1st time gun owning female - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: advice for 1st time gun owning female

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie B View Post
    I'm also looking for my first gun. I've already done my concealed carry class and applied for my permit. I want something for concealed carry. I talked to a female sheriff and she recommended the Glock 19 Gen 4 or the Glock 26 Gen 4. I've also looked at S&W M&P Shield. I'm confused and a little worried that some of these guns will be to heavy for me to carry. I have some not to severe back problems and don't want something so heavy that I'll end up leaving it at home. I also want to eventually get a .22 pistol of some kind for target practice.
    I love my Shield, and it's pretty lightweight. I'm not a fan of Glocks... I don't shoot them as well because they're too wide. Just keep in mind that the lighter it gets, the harder it is to shoot. I also have back problems, and width bothers me much more than weight. On a good belt, the weight of the gun sits squarely on your hips, and I find it doesn't mess with me. Unfortunately you'll just have to experiment to find out what works for you... that's what I did, and I have a ton of holsters now!

If weight does bother you, try looking at .380's... I have no experience with them, but I'd imagine they're lighter and easier to shoot at that weight. Also, look for wider holsters that will distribute the weight a bit better. That might help too. My favorite is Alien Gear Holsters Barely notice I'm carrying my Shield in that.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

3. A lot of people recommend a small revolver for women, but most have rather stiff triggers and such small guns often have a lot of recoil and are hard to shoot accurately at any real distance. Also most revolvers are 5 or 6 shots before having to reload. I took my first course at FrontSight Firearms training Institute with a revolver, but switched to a 9mm for subsequent classes--I got tired of running out of ammo. My 4th generation Glock 19 is my favorite gun. For regular carry I use a Gun Tote'n Mammas brand handbag with built in holster. My draw is almost as fast as getting a gun out past a concealment garment, and weather doesn't matter like it would carrying on my person. Having 15 rounds in my magazine and a spare that I can load up quickly gives me a lot more firepower than one of my revolvers.

4. My first gun was a glock 23 (40 S&W.) I also have a 12 gauge 18.5" barrel shotgun. A lot of women wouldn't feel comfortable with these firearms but I love them. I think you have to go and shoot guns before you buy them. All women are not the same. Go to the range and rent some guns to get a feel for what you like. Peace!

I might also suggest the Ruger SR9C or SR40C.
    That can be found for around $400-450.00. They offer a 10+1 magazine for conceal carry and 17 round extended magazine (9 & 15 in.40S&W).

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You posted this is June and are probably set up now - but for what it's worth, a .38 cal revolver, I'm partial to Ruger, is a great gun for women - and men. It's light and small enough to carry-conceal while still having decent stopping power against someone moving toward you with bad intent. You can get a short barrel .38 Ruger revolver, double-action, equipped with laser sighting for convenience. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerkat333 View Post
    I would like to get a hand gun and a rifle. I know nothing about which type to buy. Can someone please recommend what they feel would be the best to start out with which are reasonably priced, say within @ a $500.00 price range (for each), if that's reasonable? Thank you in advance for your help and wisdom! : )

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345