advice for 1st time gun owning female
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: advice for 1st time gun owning female

I would like to get a hand gun and a rifle. I know nothing about which type to buy. Can someone please recommend what they feel would be the best to start out with which are reasonably priced, say within @ a $500.00 price range (for each), if that's reasonable? Thank you in advance for your help and wisdom! : )

3. Just about all of us in here will tell you to go to the range and try out as many guns as they have available. They're all different and you might feel more comfortable with a different one than we suggest. You'll also want to test different calibers to determine which one you're most comfortable with. However, I have used a Taurus 9mm for many years without problems and I would recommend it. You can get one for under $400.

You will assuredly get a lot of advice here. My .02, first you need to consider what you are planning to do with each of these firearms. (I realize that you are not currently a gun owner and really don't know where this will take you, but you have to start somewhere)

First the handgun. Are you thinking about concealed carry, a pistol to place in your nightstand for just in case, something to go to a range with and hang out, or competitive shooting? Of course, many handguns would work for all of the above, but if you, say, are pretty sure that you would never concealed carry, you might not want to consider handguns designed primarily for that purpose. But if concealed carry is your primary reason for wanting a pistol, you probably would want to eliminate most full-sized pistols from your choices.

I am a firm believer that there are good handguns to be had for under $500, but to be honest you will find that you eliminate many popular models/brands if your budget is under $600-$650.

Once you decide what your intentions are, you need to get some guns in your hand. I'll leave it at that and let some others put in their input.
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

Get some instruction if possible as well. There will be many coming along soon to offer options for you so hang on tight!

Sent from behind enemy lines.

6. advice for 1st time gun owning female

The first thing any new shooter needs to get is a qualified instructor. He or she will then help answer your questions with hands on experience !

What they said. You have to know what the job is before you can choose. Concealed carry, plinking, self defense, home defense, deer hunting, etc?? There are many choices. I can tell you my current guns, but it is an individual choice:

Ruger LCP: Very concealable. Minimum caliber for SD.

Ruger LC9: concealed carry.

RIA 9mm 1911: zombie apocalypse gun/plinking/open carry/home defense. :)

RIA 38 Sp: Same as above.

Ruger 22/45 Lite (22lr): plinking.

Mossberg 715T (22lr Semiauto) looking scary, plinking.

Savage 243: bolt action for deer hunting.

8. Excellent advice above... you may also want to check into a Well Armed Woman chapter in your state

The Well Armed Woman Shooting Chapters

Also, a NRA Women on Target course may be good. I've only been into the shooting thing for about 6 months, but it's a lot of fun and there is so much to be learned but it's an awesome experience.

I have an XD9 SubCompact and a Ruger 10/22.

Have fun :)

My Wife likes the Ruger LCR, for the fact it has no external hammer. She uses it for Concealed Carry, and home defense Shooting 148 gr Hollow base lead full wad cutters. It is a nice gun in the $520.00 range and has a very nice trigger pull. find someone or a range that has one you can try. She has weak wrists, and arthritis, and is able to do about 50 rounds before it wears on her. Good luck :-)
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

10. One more thing... buy a copy of The Cornered Cat by Kathy Jackson.

The Cornered Cat: A Woman's Guide to Concealed Carry: Kathy Jackson: 9780982248799: Amazon.com: Books

You can find it on Amazon and is an excellent read.

11. 1st handgun & rifle

1st handgun (for female self defense) Smith & Wesson 642 revolver.. Especially for those that don't shoot often. Simplicity, 99.9999% reliability (nothing is 100%), super concealable, vast improvement in 38 Special ammo. For target shooting.. Go to a range and rent all that you can.. very subjective. Rifle: Ruger 10/22. Fun, almost zero recoil, reliable, ammo relatively cheap (yes, currently hard to find sometimes). If you just have to have a semi-auto pistol... again, try to go somewhere that you can rent. Way too many options out there (all pretty good btw). Whatever you decide... training, safety, practice, and NEVER get complacent. Good luck

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast