Shooting while Pregnant?? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting while Pregnant??

Quote Originally Posted by bcslack View Post
    This week I introduced my female work partner to the joy of shooting. For one who had never shot ANYTHING, she did well and is now very interested in getting her own.
    The question came up about shooting while pregnant (the other carry). As a male, I have never considered the question. Would the noise & concussion be detrimental?
    TIA
    Not a problem at all. The infant is protected by the amniotic fluid surrounding it, which will suppress the loud noises of shooting.
    Check youtube for videos by Cory Erika. She just gave birth, and was running and gunning throughout her pregnancy. She talks about that and discussions with her doctors while pregnant on FB and YT. She's a very active shooter, and runs a training ground with her fiance, Cory.
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Rely purely on medical data, not opinions of posters. Gunshot residue is very toxic. Lead & residue is absorbed through the skin. Smoke is absorbed through the lungs and nasal membranes. Pregnant women should not shoot. When I return from a day od shooting I notice I can feel the smoothness of the residue on my skin. I cover the seats in my truck, leave my clothes in the garage and shower before handling the kids, dogs or hanging out on the furniture.
    The NRA recommends thoroughly washing hands and face after shooting to reduce exposure. However, once ingested the only way to lower lead levels is through Chelation therapy... very expensive and usually not covered by insurance.
    Regarding those who disagree... why take a chance with a baby's life?
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Make sure that when you wash, you use cold water. Hot water will open the pores of your skin allowing the lead dust that has fallen on your skin an easier path. I've known a handful of instructors who have had lead poisoning. Everyone one of their doctors recommends washing this way.

Generally, I will wash my face, hands, and arms at the range first before going home.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    I'd be highly concerned that the loud noise could cause brain damage to the fetus and the child might grow up to be a liberal.
    Why do you find it necessary to bring politics into every damn discussion ?
    "A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
    "Never fight an old man, if he can't fight you he'll just shoot you"

7. Quote Originally Posted by TomC51 View Post
    Why do you find it necessary to bring politics into every damn discussion ?
    If you get pissed off at a random joke on a internet forum then it's possible you should avoid the internet altogether until you get a sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Make sure that when you wash, you use cold water. Hot water will open the pores of your skin allowing the lead dust that has fallen on your skin an easier path. I've known a handful of instructors who have had lead poisoning. Everyone one of their doctors recommends washing this way.

Generally, I will wash my face, hands, and arms at the range first before going home.
    That was what I hated most about being pregnant... You're not supposed to take hot showers anyway. Not a fan of lukewarm showers. That and no sushi... I was in Hawaii at the time with tons of fresh seafood and I couldn't have sushi.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Would think lead in air would be major factor.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Not a problem at all. The infant is protected by the amniotic fluid surrounding it, which will suppress the loud noises of shooting.
    Hhhhmmmm. Gets me thinking. Is there anywhere I can get a set of amniotic fluid ear muffs?
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

I did notread all the replies,, so pardon me if I am repeating comments, but just wanted to reply with an obvious comment. Imminent danger does not distinguish nor does it care about pregnant women. If we are talking about target practice etal--I'll give those replies on noise, lead, etal some credibility, but outside of that, a firearm has nothing to do with pregnancy but imminent danger does for not only pregnancy but for your very life and, obviously, the life of your baby.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast