Looking for 1st Gun - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Looking for 1st Gun

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    A .22 is not much good for personal protection. Little stopping power. And, you need to stop an attacker or they will keep on coming, don't you know?

    True for either people strung out on drugs, or if the attack is personal, but the average thug wanting to mug you at the ATM is going to soil his shorts and turn to run the second he realizes he has been shot, or even shot at.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    True for either people strung out on drugs, or if the attack is personal, but the average thug wanting to mug you at the ATM is going to soil his shorts and turn to run the second he realizes he has been shot, or even shot at.
    Cite please
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  4. i am a big fan of the small frame .38 as a first. lots of ammo choices and not bad stopping power. I am sure any gun range will be more than happy to help with the choice

  5. I have a Ruger R22, and I like it. It is so much more accurate than the LCP, 45's and 9mm's my husband and I have.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by horsejody View Post
    I have a Ruger R22, and I like it. It is so much more accurate than the LCP, 45's and 9mm's my husband and I have.
    Have you received any formal firearms training by a professional instructor? That may help. After all, I do not automatically become Mozart by buying a piano and then blame my incoherent "music" on the piano.

    Unless you have a medical condition that hinders you from shooting larger calibers, you should have no problem with shooting larger calibers fast and accurate. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time for the needed training and practice.

    The Ruger SR-22 shoots .22lr. .22lr is notorious for misfires. I don't recommend the Ruger SR-22 at all as a carry gun for that reason. I do recommend a .22 Magnum revolver as a last resort.

    I use my Ruger SR-22 to introduce new shooters to firearms, as they can learn the operation of a firearm and get their first shots down range without worrying about recoil. Once they have learned how to properly hold and operate the pistol, I move on with them to the 9mm Glock 19.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by nothertexan View Post
    i am a big fan of the small frame .38 as a first. lots of ammo choices and not bad stopping power. I am sure any gun range will be more than happy to help with the choice
    A small frame .357 Magnum that one shoots .38 Special +P out of is even better. Small frame .357 Magnum tend to be better build and heaver, taming the recoil better.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Have you received any formal firearms training by a professional instructor? That may help. After all, I do not automatically become Mozart by buying a piano and then blame my incoherent "music" on the piano.

    Unless you have a medical condition that hinders you from shooting larger calibers, you should have no problem with shooting larger calibers fast and accurate. Unfortunately, most people don't take the time for the needed training and practice.

    The Ruger SR-22 shoots .22lr. .22lr is notorious for misfires. I don't recommend the Ruger SR-22 at all as a carry gun for that reason. I do recommend a .22 Magnum revolver as a last resort.

    I use my Ruger SR-22 to introduce new shooters to firearms, as they can learn the operation of a firearm and get their first shots down range without worrying about recoil. Once they have learned how to properly hold and operate the pistol, I move on with them to the 9mm Glock 19.
    Yes, I have, military and civilian training. I also have Renaud's Syndrome. It's a circulatory problem that makes my fingers weak when it's cold. However, even when it's warm, I prefer my Ruger. I also like my Taurus Judge, but it is too big for everyday carry.

  9. Smile Looking for 1st Gun Update

    Hi,
    I wanted to give a little update on what I finally chose for a gun, in case anyone else is facing this same issue.
    I bought a Ruger LCR 22LR revolver and I love it! I went to a local shop and bought this item used, in like-new condition.
    I took a lot your suggestions such as going to the range; testing other guns, talking to others and doing lots of research.
    I've had practical, hands-on training that has helped me tremendously and now have a resource for extra training tips.
    I am definitely considering the 22 mag down the road.
    I just want to say "Thanks" to all of you.

  10. #29
    Let's look at another approach, OP.

    There's a couple of GREAT 22 MAG pistols.

    There's the Kel-Tec PMR 30, the new ones are

    pretty dependable. 22WMR is punchy, for it's size,

    and the PMR 30 holds 30 rounds. Look at reviews of the

    NEW ones, not people still whining about the older models.

    Then there's about the best defense you can get, the

    FN Five seveN. It's .224, same diameter as .223 caliber,

    and factory ammo gives you rifle ballistics. Muzzle velocity

    of 2063 FPS, and controllable recoil, 20 round mags,

    all from the guys who brought you the original Nato Browning.

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,253
    Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    Let's look at another approach, OP.

    There's a couple of GREAT 22 MAG pistols.

    There's the Kel-Tec PMR 30, the new ones are

    pretty dependable. 22WMR is punchy, for it's size,

    and the PMR 30 holds 30 rounds. Look at reviews of the

    NEW ones, not people still whining about the older models.

    Then there's about the best defense you can get, the

    FN Five seveN. It's .224, same diameter as .223 caliber,

    and factory ammo gives you rifle ballistics. Muzzle velocity

    of 2063 FPS, and controllable recoil, 20 round mags,

    all from the guys who brought you the original Nato Browning.
    More of this FN Five-seveN BS. You will not get 2063 fps out of the FN Five-seveN pistol. You will not get rifle ballistics out of this pistol. It is an urban myth perpetrated by those who have no clue what they are talking about. The FN Five-seveN pistol is slightly more powerful than a .22 WMR. As I posted in the other thread, where you posted the same nonsense:

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    What great power do you speak of? The muzzle velocity you use is out of a P90 with a 10.4 in barrel. The FN Five-seven has a 4.8 in barrel where muzzle velocity is somewhere between 1600 and 1700 fps. 5.7x28mm fired out of a pistol is a glorified .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (5.7x28mm "Cop Killer" Cartridge Myth).


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast