On May 20, 2013, Senate Bill 286 was signed into law and took effect on August 1, 2013. This makes Alabama a Shall Issue State. Sheriff’s are required to issue or deny the concealed carry application within thirty (30) days. Upon denials, applicants will receive a written notice and have the chance to appeal the denial.
Are background checks required for a Alabama Pistol Permit and does it count as a National Instant Criminal System (NICS) check?
The sheriff may charge a fee as provided by local law for the issuance of the permit under subdivision (1) of subsection (a). The amount of the fee for a period of one year up to five years shall be the amount of the fee as prescribed by local law multiplied by the number of years of the permit requested by the applicant.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Resident of Alabama.
- Some counties require training while others do not.
- If you were found guilty but mentally ill in a criminal case.
- If you were found not guilty in a criminal case by reason of insanity or mental disease or defect.
- If you were declared incompetent to stand trial in a criminal case.
- If you asserted a defense in a criminal case of not guilty by reason of insanity or mental disease or defect.
- If you were found not guilty only by reason of lack of mental responsibility under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- If you required involuntary inpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility.
- If you required involuntary outpatient treatment in a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility based on a finding that the person is an imminent danger to himself or herself or to others.
- If you required involuntary commitment to a psychiatric hospital or similar treatment facility for any reason, including drug use.
- If you are or was the subject of a prosecution or of a commitment or incompetency proceeding that could lead to a prohibition on the receipt or possession of a firearm under the laws of Alabama or the United States.
- If you falsified any portion of the permit application..
- If you caused justifiable concern for public safety.
- The sheriff shall take into account how recent any consideration under paragraph a. is in relation to the date of the application. The sheriff shall provide a written statement of the reasons for a denial of a permit and the evidence upon which it is based must be disclosed to the applicant, unless disclosure would interfere with a criminal investigation.
- Except as otherwise provided by the laws of this state, a permit issued under this subdivision is valid 17 throughout the state, and a sheriff may not place conditions or requirements on the issuance of the permit or limit its scope or applicability.
As of Aug 1, 2013, the Castle Doctrine includes places of business.
Using or about to use physical force against an owner, employee, or other person authorized to be on business property when the business is closed to the public while committing or attempting to commit a crime involving death, serious physical injury, robbery, kidnapping, rape, sodomy, or a crime of a sexual nature involving a child under the age of 12. [Source]
If you are asked to leave a property then you must leave. Refusing is breaking the law and you can be charged.
8/2/2013 – Updated age and alcohol sections.
8/1/2013 – Updated maps to reflect that Alabama accepts all other state’s permits.
7/31/2013 – Format updated along with all information including changes that go into effect on Aug. 1, 2013.