Colorado Concealed Carry Permit Information

Click here to view Colorado’s Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.

If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the Colorado State Forums.

Concealed Permit:

Shall Issue to Residents only.

Example Resident Permit:

Colorado Concealed Carry Permit
Colorado Concealed Carry Permit

Issuing Authority:
You can apply to the sheriff of your home county, the sheriff of the county in which you own or rent real property to operate a business, or the sheriff of the county in which you currently hold a permit.

NICS/Background Check:

Permit Valid For:
Permits are valid for five years.

Processing Time:

Initial Applications: TOTAL $52.50
CCIC Fingerprint check $17.50
InstaCheck $13.00
FBI Fingerprint check $22.00

Note: The local sheriff can charge up to an additional $100.

Temporary Emergency Permits: TOTAL $30.50
CCIC Fingerprint check $17.50
InstaCheck $13.00

Renewals: (Fingerprints previously sent to CBI) TOTAL $13.00
InstaCheck $13.00

Renewals: (Fingerprints NOT previously sent to CBI) TOTAL $52.50
CCIC Fingerprint check $17.50
InstaCheck $13.00
FBI Fingerprint check $22.00

1. Colorado resident
2. Age 21 or older
3. Not precluded by state or federal law from owning or possessing a firearm (e.g. felony conviction, mentally incompetent)
4. Does not chronically or habitually abuse alcohol
5. Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to controlled substances
6. Is not the subject of a civil or criminal restraining order
7. Complete background check, including fingerprint verification by FBI/CBI
8. Demonstrates competence with a handgun by one of the following means:
a. evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service
b. certified firearms instructor
c. honorable discharge from the Armed Forces within past three yearss
d. proof of pistol qualification in Armed Forces within past ten years, if discharged
e. retired law enforcement with pistol qualification within past ten years
f. proof of completion of a handgun training class within the past ten years

Required Documents:
1. Completed application
2. Copy of your training certificate
3. Cop0y of your driver’s license
4. State ID Card or Passport photo
5. Application Fee

Renewal Information:
Permit may be renewed as early as 120 days before expiration or as late as six months after expiration. Renewal fee is $25; an additional late fee of $15 must be paid if the permit has expired.

Change of Name or Address:
You need to notify the issuing sheriff of your change of address within thirty days after you move.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:

Automobile carry:
You may carry concealed in an automobile for protection while traveling or for any other lawful purpose while lawfully engaged in hunting.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Any place prohibited by federal law (e.g. federal offices or courthouse)
2. Any property of public school grades kindergarten through 12, unless the firearm remains inside a container in a locked vehicle
3. Any public building that prohibits ALL weapons which posts guards and permanent metal detectors at all entrances and requires all entrants to surrender handguns to security personnel before entry

Alcohol and Drugs:
It is unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Colorado is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law.

Open Carry:
Unrestricted under state law; localities may regulate this aspect independently.

Localities with Varying Laws:

Forms & Links:

Colorado Bureau of Investigation: CCW Information

Denver Police Department: Concealed Weapons Permits
NRA-ILA: Colorado Gun Laws
Colorado State Shooting Association


We try to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

4 2 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Join the conversation, please comment.x