Click here to view Delaware’s Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.
If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the Delaware State Forums.
May Issue To Residents Only.
Permit Valid For:
1. Arrange with a newspaper of general circulation in your County to have your application published once, at least (10) days before the filing of your application with the Court. Obtain an affidavit from the newspaper company stating that this requirement has been met, and attach it to your application. PLEASE NOTE: Newspaper of selection must have a circulation of at least 35% of the population in your zip code. Be sure to use your whole name – no initials – and your home address.
2. Arrange to be fingerprinted. Fingerprinting by Appointment Only Appointments are ONLY Tuesday & Thursday noon to 6:30 p.m. You will be given the address of the Delaware State Police Troop to report to at the time you are given an appointment. For an appointment call: (302) 739-2528 or 1-800-464-4357 Payment by certified check, money order, business check, or credit card for exact amount only. No cash or personal checks accepted and picture ID required. Fingerprints must be taken within 30 days of filing application.
3. Have the reference questionnaires completed by five (5) citizens from the County in which you reside.
4. Complete the attached questionnaire and have it notarized. (The Prothonotary Office will notarize a document for a $1.00 fee)
5. Include two (2) 2 x 2 color passport-style photographs of the applicant, taken within the six-month period immediately preceding the filing of the application.
6. Include the statutory filing fee of $34.50. Cash, money order or personal check, made payable to the “PROTHONOTARY” will be accepted. (Credit cards are accepted in Kent County ONLY)
7. New applications may be filed at any time. You must file the original set and a complete copy of all the documents. (DUPLICATE COPY) You may hand deliver your application to the Prothonotary’s Office or, if all the requirements are met, mail to the Prothonotary Office in the County in which you are applying:
New Castle County Prothonotary Office
500 N. King Street, Suite 1500
Wilmington, DE 19801-3704
Kent County Prothonotary Office
38 The Green
Dover, DE 19901
Sussex County Prothonotary Office
Sussex County Courthouse
1 The Circle, Suite 2
Georgetown, DE 19947
You may be contacted by a representative of the Attorney General’s Office for a personal interview.
If you have any questions, please contact:
New Castle County 302-255-0556
Kent County 302-739-3184 ext. 164
Sussex County 302-856-5742
Following review of your application by the Attorney General’s Office and the Court, you will receive written notification as to whether your application has been denied or approved. If your application is approved, you must now complete an Approved Gun Course. For exact details of what the course must include see 11 Del. C. § 1441. Upon completion of the course please submit your Certificate – certified by the Instructor and notarized to the Court. Your new CCDW permit will be issued following receipt verification of the gun course.
Change of Name or Address:
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:
Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
Places off-limits when carrying:
Alcohol and Drugs:
Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Delaware is not a Castle Doctrine state and does not have a stand-your-ground law.
Unrestricted; however, local ordinances prohibiting open carry may exist.
Localities with Varying Laws:
Forms & Links:
NRA-ILA: Delaware Gun Laws
Attorney General – Delaware Concealed Weapons Reciprocity
We try to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.