Utah Concealed Carry Permit Information

Concealed Permit:

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents

Example Utah Resident/Non-Resident Permit:

Utah Concealed Carry Permit
Utah Concealed Carry Permit

Issuing Authority:

Department of Public Safety: Bureau of Criminal Identification

Apply by mail to:
Utah Department of Public Safety
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84118

Applications will be accepted, in person, from 8:00AM until 5:00PM at the above location.

Out Of State Permit Issue:
Utah does issue permits to non-residents.

NICS/Background Check:
NICS: Yes, A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants

Permit Valid For:
The Utah concealed firearm permit is valid for a period of five years.

Permit Issued Timeline:
Within 60 days after receiving an application and upon proof that the person applying is of good character the Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) shall issue a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense to an applicant.

Application fees for a Utah Concealed Firearms Permits are $46.00 for residents and $51.00 for non-residents and also non-refundable. The Bureau accepts cash, check, money order, VISA and MASTERCARD. Credit card payment must include the 3-digit control number on the back of the card.Name and address must be imprinted on checks (no “counter checks” please). Please make check or money order payable to: Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification. There will be a $20 service charge for returned checks. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL.

Replacement (lost or change of address): $10.00

1. Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
2. Proof of good character…whereas the applicant;
a. has not been convicted of a felony;
b. has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
c. has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
d. has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
e. has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
f. has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
g. has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed

Required Documents:

1. Completed Application
2. A Photocopy of your Driver License
3. Photograph. One recent color photograph of passport quality. *Photos may be taken at BCI.
4. Fingerprint Card. One fingerprint card. Must be filled out completely. Writing and prints must be legible. Fingerprint should be taken by a trained fingerprint technician. Fingerprint cards that are not legible will be returned to the applicant and will cause a delay in processing the application.

*Fingerprint services are available from BCI or may be offered through your local law enforcement agency. There are private businesses that also offer this service. Check in your local phone directory. Photos and fingerprints may be obtained at BCI (3888 W 5400 S, Taylorsville, UT. The cost is $13.00 for 1 photo and $13.00 for up to 3 fingerprint cards.

5. Weapon Familiarity Certification. Applicants must complete a firearms familiarity course certified by BCI. The course must be completed before you apply for a permit. Please have your instructor complete the certification information on the application. View a list of (in-state) (out-of-state) certified instructors.

Renewal Information:
The Bureau of Criminal Identification will send a renewal application to you approximately one month prior to your expiration. Simply complete the renewal application form and return it to the Bureau of Criminal Identification with your check or money order. The cost of renewal is $10.00. This may be paid by check or money order. We recommend you do not send cash in the mail. Once they receive a renewal application the permit immediately gets renewed for the next five years. A renewal sticker will be sent to the permit holder approximately one to two weeks prior to the date of expiration. This is regardless of when the renewal application is received.

Occasionally a permit holder gets involved in criminal activity which results in the revocation of his or her permit. The renewal process also includes conducting another background check. However, the renewal is automatic. There will be no break in the validity period of a permit. Even in cases where a criminal incident needs to be investigated, the permit remains valid until the investigation is complete. If corrective action is ultimately needed, the permit holder will be notified. This is why it is possible that a permit holder may receive a renewal sticker and then a short period later receive a letter revoking the permit.

Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Box 148280
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-8280.

* Of course you may also turn in your application in person as well.

Download a renewal application here

Change of Address:
To make address changes to your concealed weapon permit, e-mail the pertinent information to BCI at DPSFIREARMS@utah.gov. Be sure to include your BRL Number, full name as it appears on the permit, address as it appears on the permit, current phone number, and the new address.

This information can also be mailed to:

Firearm Section
Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 W 5400 S
Box 148280
Salt Lake City UT 84114-8280

Lost or Destroyed Permit:
Fill out the form below. Explain below the specific circumstances. If the permit has been stolen please identify the police agency the theft was reported to and a case number. If the permit is being replaced because of a change of personal identification information, i.e., new address, change of name, etc., please identify the changes. If there has been a change of name please include the appropriate legal documentation.

There is a fee of $10.00 and you must submit a photocopy of your corrected drivers license or ID card with the form.

Replacement Concealed Firearm Permit Affidavit

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
You are not required to notify LEO that you are carrying. What they do suggest is that you tell them IF, for any reason, you think the concealed firearm MAY BE DISCOVERED during the encounter.

Automobile carry:
H.B. 357 Substitute Effective Date: 12 May 2009 – A person may carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle in the person’s lawful possession or in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle.

Places off-limits when carrying:
The concealed firearm permit only exempts the permit holder from two laws: carrying a concealed firearm on your person and; carrying a loaded and concealed firearm on or about school property. All other state and federal laws still apply. Such as, you may not carry a firearm in secured areas of an airport and you may not carry a firearm in secure federal buildings. These areas should always be posted. But please be aware of these restrictions in case they are not posted.

1. A person with a permit to carry a concealed firearm may not carry a concealed firearm in any secure area. A secure area may be established at an airport, higher education institution, or courthouse. A mental health facility or correctional facility may be designated by rule as an area in which no firearm or ammunition may be transported, sold, given, or possessed upon the facility. At least one notice shall be prominently displayed at each entrance to any secure area in which a firearm is restricted. Provisions shall be made to provide a secure firearms storage area so that persons with lawfully carried firearms may store them while they are in the secure area.
2. A person licensed to carry a concealed firearm may not knowingly and intentionally transport a firearm into a house of worship or a private residence after notice has been given that firearms are prohibited.

Alcohol and Drugs:
There is nothing in state statute that prohibits permit holders from being in a bar with a concealed firearm. However, it is illegal to be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm. The level of intoxication that is considered illegal is the same standard as when driving a car. (.08 B.A.C.)

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Utah is a Castle Doctrine state and has a stand-your-ground law.

Open Carry:
Utah allows unlicensed open carry of a firearm that is at least 2 actions from firing. For example, a semi-auto may have a full mag but the chamber must be empty. Permit holder may open carry as well, but their firearms may be fully loaded.

Localities with Varying Laws:
Contact your local county sheriff.

Forms & Links:
Utah Department of Public Safety: Bureau of Criminal Identification: Concealed Firearm Permits
Application for New Permit
Renewal Application
Replacement Concealed Firearm Permit Affidavit
NRA-ILA: Utah Gun Law

To view a state’s concealed carry permit information click on the state. The state’s color represents whether a state is Shall Issue, May Issue, Constitutional Carry or Right Denied (We explain each state’s status here).

Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alabama, CaliforniaColorado, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New JerseyNew Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

May Issue to Residents Only:
Delaware, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alaska, West Virginia

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire

Constitutional Carry and Does Not Issue Permits:

Right Denied:
American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

We keep the information on this page as up to date as possible, but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice concerning any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Website, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Join the conversation, please comment.x