New Hampshire Concealed Carry Permit Information

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents

Example of New Hampshire Non-Resident Permit:

New Hampshire Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit Front
New Hampshire Non-Resident Concealed Carry Permit Front

Issuing Authority:
Pistol and Revolver licenses are only issued to Non-Residents by the New Hampshire State Police. Please contact your local policing agency for a Resident Pistol/Revolver License.

Out Of State Permit Issue:
New Hampshire does issue permits to non-residents.

NICS/Background Check:

Permit Valid For:
Licenses expire at midnight on the anniversary of the holder’s date or birth no less than 4 years from the date of issue, with March 2 the expiration for persons born on February 29.

Permit Issued Timeline:
Licenses must be issued or denied within 14 days of application, and if denied, the reason shall be stated in writing and delivered to the applicant within 14 days, with a copy kept by the denying authority. The applicant may appeal a denial within 30 days to the District Court in the jurisdiction in which the person resides, and the court shall hold a hearing within 14 days.

License fees are $10 for residents, for the use of the local law enforcement department, and $100 for nonresidents, for the use of the State.

1. Be a suitable person to be licensed and has good reason to fear an injury to his person or property or has any other “proper purpose.” Hunting, target shooting or self-defense shall be considered proper purposes.

Required Documents:
1. Application form
Download Resident Application
Download Non-Resident Application
2. Non-Resident Only – A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state.

Renewal Information:

Change of Name or Address:
If a resident license holder moves to another community, he or she shall notify in writing the licensing authority in his or her new place of residence that he or she has a current license, and the license shall remain in effect until it would otherwise expire. For non-residents, please forward a letter to NH State Police, Permits and Licensing Unit, 33 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03305 notifying us of the change of address, including the old and new address. If you would like to receive a license that reflects the new address, enclose a fee of $3.00 made out to State of New Hampshire – Treasurer.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:

Automobile carry:
License to carry is required to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in a motor vehicle. Without a permit, handguns must be unloaded and may be carried openly or contained in gun case in the passenger compartment; rifles and shotguns must be unloaded while in a vehicle.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Courtroom or area used by a court.

Alcohol and Drugs:
As always, alcohol/drugs don’t mix with firearms. That’s a pretty simple rule of thumb.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
New Hampshire is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.

Open Carry:
Unrestricted under state law and generally accepted.

Localities with Varying Laws:
State law prevents cities and other localities from enacting laws concerning the regulation of firearms, components, ammunition and supplies, which are not in conformity with state law. A municipality or any political subdivision of the state may not any ordinance, law or rule regulating hunting, fishing and trapping.

To view a state’s concealed carry permit information click on the state. The state’s color represents whether a state is Shall Issue, May Issue, Constitutional Carry or Right Denied (We explain each state’s status here).

Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alabama, CaliforniaColorado, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New JerseyNew Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

May Issue to Residents Only:
Delaware, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alaska, West Virginia

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire

Constitutional Carry and Does Not Issue Permits:

Right Denied:
American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

We keep the information on this page as up to date as possible, but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice concerning any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Website, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Join the conversation, please comment.x