Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit Information

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue to Residents Only

Example Permit:

Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit Front
Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit Front

Issuing Authority:
Sheriff’s Office in the county where you reside.

Out Of State Permit Issue:

NICS check:


Permit Valid For:
There is a 5 year option or 10 year option.

Permit Issued Timeline:
When applications have been processed, applicants will be notified of the results by mail. After approval of the application, the license must be picked up at the Sheriff’s Office in the county where the applicant resides. Please allow 90 days for processing thr complete application.

New Applicant – 5 Year – $100
New Applicant – 10 Year – $200
Renewal Applicant – 5 Year – $85
Renewal Applicant – 10 Year – $170
Expired Renewal Applicant (expired less than 3 years) – 5 Year – $85
Expired Renewal Applicant (expired less than 3 years) – 10 Year – $170
Expired Renewal Applicant (expired more than 3 years) – 5 Year – $100
Expired Renewal Applicant (expired more than 3 years) – 10 Year – $200

*Acceptable forms of payment include Money Orders, Cashier’s checks, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.

1. A citizen of the United States;
2. Establish a residency in the State of Oklahoma;
*For purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the term “residency” shall apply to any person who either possesses a valid Oklahoma driver license or state photo identification card and physically resides in this state or has permanent military orders within this state and possesses a valid driver license from another state where such person claims residency
3. be at least 21 years of age;
4. Request or print an application;
5. Read and become knowledgeable of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;
6. Complete the required firearms safety and training class or apply for and receive an exemption;
7. Take the completed application, photographs, required fees, and the blank finger print cards found in the application packet to the Sheriff’s Office in the county where he or she resides.

Required Documents:
1. GENERAL APPLICANTS– the original certificate received from the certified firearms instructor upon completion of the required safety and training course must be included with your application;
2. FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR APPLICANTS– a copy of your certificate is acceptable;
3. APPLICANTS RECEIVING A TRAINING EXEMPTION– you must include the original exemption certificate;
4. Complete the application form
5. Two (2) color, passport style photographs

Renewal Information:
1. A license may be renewed at any time within 90 days prior to the expiration date (21 O. S., Section 1290.5);
2. The Bureau will send each current license holder an expiration notice and a mail-in form for requesting a renewal application;

1. obtain a renewal form from the OSBI before the license has expired;*
2. complete the form;
3. attach two current color, passport style photographs to the form;
4. mail the renewal application and attachments to OSBI, Self-Defense Act Licensing Unit, 6600 North Harvey, Oklahoma City, OK 73116.
5. allow 90 days for processing of the application; incomplete applications cannot be processed.

*There is a 30-day grace period on license renewals beginning on the date of expiration, after which the license is considered expired and the applicant may no longer legally carry his weapon. However, any applicant shall have three (3) years from the expiration of the license to comply with the renewal requirements of this section before the applicant is again considered an Initial Applicant.

Change of Address:

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
A licensee must inform a police officer that the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed handgun when the licensee first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detention or routine traffic stop.

Automobile carry:
Unloaded firearms may be carried in the passenger compartment; magazine loaded rifles and shotguns may be transported in an exterior compartment or trunk.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. government building;
2. meeting of any elected or appointed government officials;
3. prison or detention center; elementary, secondary, or
4. vocational-technical school property; sports arena during
5. a professional sporting event; any place where pari-mutuel
6. wagering is authorized; college or university property and
7. any other place specifically prohibited by law.

Except for any elementary, secondary, or vocational-technical school property, these prohibitions do not apply to parking lots.

Alcohol and Drugs:
It is unlawful for any person other than the owner, proprietor, or a peace officer to possess a firearm in any establishment where alcoholic beverages are consumed. A person with a valid CCL may carry a firearm onto premises where alcohol is sold, provided that the sale of alcohol is not the primary business.

It is unlawful to carry or use firearms while under the influence of alcohol, any unprescribed drug, or any prescribed drug that could cause abnormal behavior.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Oklahoma is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law.


Open Carry:
For information on Oklahoma Open Carry visit our Oklahoma Open Carry Information page.

Localities with Varying Laws:
For additional information please contact your local county Sheriff’s office.

To view a state’s concealed carry permit information click on the state. The state’s color represents whether a state is Shall Issue, May Issue, Constitutional Carry or Right Denied (We explain each state’s status here).

Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alabama, CaliforniaColorado, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New JerseyNew Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

May Issue to Residents Only:
Delaware, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alaska, West Virginia

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire

Constitutional Carry and Does Not Issue Permits:

Right Denied:
American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

We keep the information on this page as up to date as possible, but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice concerning any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Website, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Join the conversation, please comment.x