If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the Virgin Islands Forums.
May issue to Residents only.
A firearm may be lawfully had, possessed, borne, transported or carried in the Virgin Islands by the following persons, provided a license for such purpose has been issued by the Commissioner in accordance with the provisions of this chapter:
1. An officer or employee of the Government of the Virgin Islands in cases where such license, in the judgment of the Commissioner, should be issued to such officer or employee by reason of the duties of his position;
2. An agent, messenger or other employee of a common carrier, bank or business firm, whose duties require him to protect money, valuables or other property in the discharge of his duties; And provided, That the employer of such person shall have justified to the satisfaction of the Commissioner the need for the issuance of the license;
3. A person having a bona fide residence or place of business within the Virgin Islands, who established to the satisfaction of the Commissioner that he has good reason to fear death or great injury to his person or property, or who establishes any other proper reason for carrying a firearm, and the circumstances of the case, established by affidavit of the applicant and of at least two credible persons, demonstrate the need for such license;
4. A person licensed to and actively engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing or dealing in firearms in the Virgin Islands, or the agents or representatives of any such person, having necessity to handle or use firearms in the usual or ordinary course of business;
5. With respect to a rifle or a shotgun a person possessing a valid and current Virgin Islands hunting license.has in his possession a firearm.
Permit Valid For:
Permit valid for three (3) years.
The initial fee for a license under section 454 of this chapter shall be $75.00. The license may be renewed every three (3) years for a fee of $150.00.
1. Every application for a license to have and possess a firearm shall be made under oath and on forms which the Commissioner shall prepare for such purpose. For the purposes of the enforcement of the provisions of this chapter, the applicant shall furnish all information as may be required of him by the Commissioner.
2. The truth of such circumstances and facts
3. Applicant is a resident of the Virgin Islands, including with respect to shotguns or rifles a minor not under 16 years of age, or a nonresident who holds a current and valid license to hunt in the Virgin Islands, or an alien bonded under applicable Federal and Virgin Islands statutes for employment with a person, firm, corporation or other business entity duly licensed in the Virgin Islands to carry on the business of providing security, guard, patrol and private detective services; Provided, however, That in the case of any such bonded alien the license shall be issued to the business entity by which he is employed
4. Applicant is a person of good moral character
5. Applicant’s fingerprints have been duly taken and/or checked with the records of the Department or other appropriate sources
6. No proper reason exists to deny such application
Upon renewal of a license to have and possess a firearm, the receipt from the U.S. Virgin Islands Police Department (V.I.P.D.) for the renewal fee will serve as a temporary license until the official license can be provided to the licensee by the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall ensure that the renewal license is presented to the licensee within forty-five (45) days of receipt of payment for the renewal fee.
Change of Name or Address:
Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:
Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
Places off-limits when carrying:
Alcohol and Drugs:
Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Localities with Varying Laws:
Forms & Links: