Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit Information

Click here to view the Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.

If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the State Forums.

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue for Residents Only

What does a Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit look like?

Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit

Mississippi Concealed Carry Permit

Issuing Authority:
Mississippi Department of Public Safety: Highway Patrol
1st time applications are now available at your nearest Highway Patrol Substation. There are substations located in Jackson, Greenwood, Batesville, New Albany, Starkville, Meridian, Hattiesburg, Biloxi, and Brookhaven. Be sure to check “Firearm Permit Locations” for date & time of processing.

Out Of State Permit Issue:
MISSISSIPPI DOES NOT HAVE NON-RESIDENT PERMITS. Mississippi Law 45-9-101 (2) (a) states “The Department of Public Safety shall issue a license if the applicant: is a resident of the state and has been a resident for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application”.

NICS/Background Check:
Mississippi laws require a background check thru the FBI.

Permit Valid For:
The permit is valid for five (5) years.

Permit Issued Timeline:
Within forty five (45) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (5) of this section:
(i) Issue the license: or
(ii) Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to meet the requirements.

The fee for a first time Individual Firearm Permit is $132.00.
The renewal fee is $82.00. There is a $15 late fee for expired permits.
The fee for a Security Guard Permit is $132.00.

1. Twenty-one (21) years of age
2. Applicant must have been a resident of the state for over 12 months
3. Or to a person with a valid out of state license
4. Or is on active military duty
5. Or a retired law enforcement officer seeking residency
6. No suffering from a physical infirmity which prevents the safe handling of a handgun
7. No drug or alcohol abusers
8. No convicted felons or fugitives from justice
9. No mental problems
10 No violent misdemeanor convictions within the last 3 years
11. Not prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law

Required Documents:
1. The applicant must submit fingerprints
2. A full-face photograph
3. Pay a fingerprint fee and $100 license fee.

Renewal Information:
RENEWAL packets will continue to be mailed 90 days prior to expiration as stated in the statute. REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR ADDRESS CURRENT. Please contact us regarding lost, misplaced or undelivered renewal packets.

Change of Address:
Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, you must notify the Department of Public Safety in writing. The change of address should be mailed to the Firearm Permit Unit, P.O. Box 958, Jackson, MS 39205-0958. Be sure to include in your correspondence your name, permit number, old and new addresses, and a contact number in case of questions.

Lost or Destroyed Permit:
Within thirty (30) days after having a permit lost or destroyed, you must notify the Department of Public Safety (DPS) in writing. A notarized statement to DPS that the permit has been lost or destroyed is required. If your permit is lost or destroyed, you may obtain a duplicate for $15. Duplicates are done at the Firearm Permit Unit at DPS headquarters and at the substations according to their published schedule. If you need further explanation, you can contact your nearest substation or the Firearm Permit Unit at DPS headquarters.

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed pistol or revolver and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. A violation of the provisions of this paragraph (b) shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of Twenty-five Dollars ($25.00) and shall be enforceable by summons.

Automobile carry:
Mississippi Law Sec. 97-37-1 (2) states “It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle”.

If you will be traveling on the Natchez Trace Federal Parkway, please contact them directly at (662)842-1572 for their rules & regulation on transporting your firearm.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Courthouse
2. Detention or police facility
3. Polling place
4. Meeting of a government or legislative body
5. Public park
6. Schools
7. Colleges
8. Professional athletic event
9. Place of worship
10. Parade or demonstration
11. Premises posted “carrying of a pistol or revolver is prohibited,”
12. Where prohibited by federal law
13. It is unlawful to carry a firearm in any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose
14. The passenger terminal of any airport, except if the firearm is encased for shipment.

Alcohol and Drugs:
Waiting For Information. As always, alcohol/drugs don’t mix with firearms. That’s a pretty simple rule of thumb.
It is unlawful to carry a firearm in any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises that is primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages; any portion of an establishment in which beer or light wine is consumed on the premises, that is primarily devoted to such purpose

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Mississippi is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law.


Open Carry:
Generally limited to legitimate, firearms-related activity.

Localities with Varying Laws:
For additional information please contact your local county Sheriff’s office.

Forms & Links:
Mississippi Department of Public Safety: Highway Patrol: Firearm Permit FAQ’s
Mississippi Code 45-9-101

We try to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

  • Inowood

    What states honor Mississippi’s CCW permits?

    • josh

      read the actual article before you post stupid things

  • Anonymous

    You can see that from the map above these comments.

  • Sifuentesgl

    On Wednesday 9 March 2011, I took my wife to apply for her Mississippi CCW permit. The MS DPS Officer gave her a list of “Concealed Firearms Reciprocal States” The changes to the list include the following states “NOT” honoring MS permits: Idaho, Iowa, Missouri ,Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia. The following state now “HONORS” MS permits: Pennsylvania

  • Chris

    Question. I moved to OB MS. in September of last year, but didn’t change my license until July of this year. I was injured and could not manage to do this. Can I show mortgage info to prove where my residence was?

    • tom

      I believe Chris as long as you have your Ms. License you can show a utility bill and be ok.best thing to do is call the DPS office and find out for sure.

  • Guest

    I’m from Jackson MS. My dad and I are both looking into purchasing handguns for the first time. Is there a concealed weapons class you can attend in MS before going to purchase your permit?

    • nope, just go to the HP station with everything required and youre good to go

      • Jess

        Yes, there are classes provided. You have to pay for them, but in different areas of the state, you can pay $100 for the class then an additional fee for the permit. It isn’t that much more to get the permit simply because you have taken the safe shooting class.

      • Charlotte Deneice Windham

        Two ID’S

    • new owner too

      there are classes that are offered at the shooting range in my area (Gulfport) it’s CCW training. probably not a bad idea. they aren’t required. Check with your local range

      • Bill

        Do you have to have license application natarized before going to the HP station.  Also would a photo taken by a home camera againt a plain background and printed work or does it have to have a date on it  Also what are the required dimensions fro the photo?

        • Bill

          Do you have to have license application notarized before going to the HP station. Also would a photo taken by a home camera against a plain background and printed work or does it have to have a date on it .  Also what are the required dimensions for the photo?  

          sorry i am a terrible typest   

          • SteVenfrommagna

            No date required on the photo. I took one with my camera and had it printed at photo shop at Walmart and taped it to the application. I saw several different sizes one the other peoples when I was in line. They take a photo of you for your license. Yes on the notary before you get there.

          • Bill

            Thanks SteVen

          • In the Meridian area they like a normal passport picture, you can get one at Walgreen’s or Sears while you wait for just a few bucks.

          • Charlotte Deneice Windham

            Yes,passport size,yes notorized.No home camera

          • Kevin Crouch

            I took my picture with a home camera/phone, and went to Walgreens and they printed it and placed it on my permit application. Did my fathers picture also. We both have permits.

          • Charlotte Deneice Windham


          • Bob

            “Charlotte” you’re just flat out wrong about almost everything you say! You can print the forms off the internet and have any notary sign. If you read the application, home cameras are fine as long as the picture is of sufficient quality that “all facial features are readily discernible”. Do research before you give people misinformation!

          • Joe


          • Joe

            I took my DD-214 and got Page 15 from MHP and went and had it notarized and brought it back and they put the sticker on the back of my license.

        • Charlotte Deneice Windham

          You will have to go to a Highway Patrol Station that gives applications. You will fill out app;go to CVS or a place that takes pictures for Passports,and get a few pictures made,take the application to the sheriffs office for sheriff to sign,and go back ti highway patrol,pay money,be finger printed. It will be sent off for a background check,and if approved you will get the licence in the mail.

          • Bob

            OR you can print the forms off of the Internet, have any notary sign, take a picture at home, print said picture from a good quality home printer, go to the Highway Patrol on one of their designated “individual firearm permits” days with all your paperwork already filled out, pay your money, and wait for your license to come! MUCH simpler and less time consuming my way!

      • jcpatterson2

        the classes are a great idea if you plan to pursue the “IC enhancement” that lessens the restrictions on places in which you can carry your concealed weapon

    • Charlotte Deneice Windham

      Check with local gun shops. Most of them know where there are some classes.

  • Icemab50

    What dose the green mean on Mississippi ?

    • BerNano

      Its because thats the state you clicked on

  • Debooker

    What do they consider mental problems ??

    • Kyle

      The law states that the person may not have been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or been declared mentally incompetent in a court of law. However, it also states that if a person possesses a certificate from a MS state certified psychiatrist that says the person has not suffered from the mental affliction in at least five years or if it is has been five years since the court restored the persons mental capacity then they can get the permit.

  • DHH

    What does “MS Res Permits Only mean?”
    Do you have to be a resident of the state, i.e.: Florida, as a vacation home resident for the carry permit to be accepted?  This seems confusing.

    • J willson

       It means that FL will accept MS permit from MS residents only. They will not honor a MS non-resident permit.

      • Lsutigerfan

        Kind of confusing because MS doesn’t issue nonresident permits (you have to be a resident of MS for 12 months to apply).

        • Kyle

          This is basically to distinguish between states like FL and TX. FL will only honor a MS license from a MS resident, but states like TX will honor a MS license from anyone as long as it’s still valid, even if they are no longer a MS resident.

        • Phill

          That is not true. You can get a permit in Mississippi if you are active duty military stationed in MS OR retired law enforcement that is planning to move to MS.

  • Jdsmith3019

    i,m from south ms. if i,m riding down the road and get stopped and no not have con lic per its under my seat. i,m in trouble?

    • J willson

       Nope, not unless you’re doing a criminal act. And by criminal act, I mean a handcuffing is gonna take place.

    • Deon Hayes

      no, even without a permit you have the right to keep it in your home or car. you do have to have the weapon in the glove compartment though and the magazine somewhere else.

      • Anonymous

        Magazine doesn’t have to be separate nor locked away from pistol. You can have your hand gun locked and loaded as long as it is in YOUR vehicle. If you cross state lines you better be familiar with that states laws. Usually each component (ie. pistol, magazine, bullets) must be locked away from each other separated.

  • Adioone23

    I thought  people can carry a pistol in a car if they have a permit or not I mean is it  the same with your home  because it’s your property and things you protect . is that true or not?

    • J willson

       You can carry in your auto., home, and place of business(unless your employer has rules against it) with no permit required. Just remember if you get out of your vehicle, with it concealed, you’ve got a problem. While in vehicle, just because it’s legal, don’t do anything retarded; stupid behavior will get you shot.

      • jcpatterson2

        also, remember that if you cross state lines (i.e. if you live in DeSoto and drive in Memphis) the laws are different… I’m not sure about alabama, lousiana, or arkansas, but if you do not obtain your CCW permit, the gun must contain more than 3 steps to be in firing opportunity, or out of the reach of any person(s) within the vehicle, to be considered “carried legally”… example: if the gun is empty, with no mag, but the mag is loaded, then that is illegal, however if the gun is unloaded with no mag, the mag is empty and the ammo is in a seperate containter, and all of these contents can be in the passenger seat, this is deemed legal… so long story short, be aware of your location and be sure to familiarize yourselves with the additional laws…


          thanks very informative sir!

        • Joe

          That way if you need it then you will probable become another statistic. Because you have to get ammo and load the clip and get the gun and put the clip in a chamber a shell. You would be dead before you got to bullets if someone was wanting to kill you. Get the permit and if you were in military and qualified with a weapon you can get the enhanced.

    • popkorn

      in ur car the gun can not be concealed without a permit u may have it in ur car but it has to be showing and the clip out of it and in a different place

      • Kyle

        Actually that is not true. According to Miss. Code Ann. § 97-37-1 subsection 2: It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

  • Primerica4

    Remember, MS now has an endorsement to the standard CCW, which is obtained by taking an approved firearms class. A list of approved instructors is available when you get the application. It reduces the places where you can’t carry to primarily a law enforcement station or an in session courtroom. MUCH less restriction.

    • Phill

      I have heard that and seen a few places that offer the class but have yet to see that law or have someone tell me where I can find it. At this point I think it is just something people hear and have repeated so many times some places are teaching it.

      • Mike Dunger

        I know of several people who have taken the enhanced class and carry virtually everywhere now.

        • Charlotte Deneice Windham

          You still can’t carry it to a court house while court is in session,a police station.Check for other places too.

  • Diamond Jim

    Stop in just about any Walgreen’s in MS and get the 2 passport photos for about $12. This is what I did for my permit.

  • Sonny89

    If I was to start a security job could I use a ccw permit or would I need another type of permit to allow a firearm on the job?

    • Kyle

      I’m not sure of the difference because I have never looked, but for a security guard job then you could get the Security Guard Permit. I would recommend talking to a trusted law enforcement official or contacting the DA’s office about this because I haven’t seen much on the Security Guard Permit.

      • Mitch Peden

        That requirement is imposed by the Security Guard Dept. Some require the security guard permit while some require the MLEOTA and some will permit the CCW

  • CrusaderTacticalSystems

    What exactly does “Concealed in whole or in part” mean?
    I’m assuming that would mean in a holster, correct?
    Is USACarry aware of any push to remove the in part portion?

    • Butch

      In Mississippi the “courts” have apparently decided through several cases that have been tried in criminal court that a handgun properly holstered and carried in the open is “concealed in part” and therefore, that is why in Mississippi a Concealed Carry License is required to openly carry a handgun. I know it isn’t expressly stated in the Mississippi Statutes, but the courts have the discretion to decide, and they apparently have done so. And this is information I learned by conducting an Internet search of the issue. So stay calm and chive on, okay?

      • The new law goes into effect, 1 July 2013, providing “clarification” of many issues in the present law.

  • Peyton50

    Is the map in flash? Can’t see it on iPad

  • Mreid0890

    The $132 dollars for the license for first timers, does that include the $100 for finger prints or will the total cost be $232 for a first timer issue?

    • Sonny89

      The total will be $132 for finger printing and a background check

    • CCWms

      The fee is $100. The $32 is the fingerprint fee.

    • Ryan T.

      Yes, $132 is the total including the fingerprinting.

  • BSY

    What is the link to the application for the firearm permit?

  • I recently moved from Hot Springs AR. to Hattiesburg and now what do I need to do to get my CCW transfered to Mississippi and what are the costs?

  • Rustywalker Consultant

    How come the NRA link is blocked

  • Nick

    I am starting a new job at a cash advance place. I read that you cant have a drug or alcohol problem in order to obtain a permit. I have a DUI other on my record but it is from my presciptions. Do you think that will keep me from getting my permit? I have since quit taking that medication. Thanks for all replies. I just want to be able to protect myself and employees legally

    • Ryan T.

      I doubt it, I was charged (it was later dismissed) with a DUI about a week after sending in my CCW application. I received the permit in the mail about a month later-no problems.

    • Ryan T.

      You can always just stop into Gander Mtn. or Academy Sports and have them run the background check on you. It’s free and only takes a few mins.

  • keith d

    i had a felony marijuana conviction 21 years ago, about 10 years ago i got my gun rights back with the help of local law enforcement.I have never been in any more trouble of any kind,can i get a conceal weapon permit.

    • Ryan T.

      I had questions about my ability to obtain a permit as well because of past convictions (DUI and assault). I went to Academy Sports and asked them to run the background check on me and everything was fine. You can do the same and it only takes about 15 mins.

  • Mark Brown

    My name is Mark. And I’m confined to a wheelchair. I was considering getting a carrying permit. What is the best way to go about this?

    • Wild Bill

      Mark, I am also in a wheelchair & have my CCW permit. As long as your physical disability doesn’t effect you being able to handle a gun safely, your good to go. Apply just like everyone else.

    • Kyle

      It should be no different than anyone else. I don’t see how being in a wheelchair affects any of the requirements for obtaining the CCW. Just get your application and go to your closest Highway Patrol station, bring the required documents, and pay the fees. That’s all there is to it.

  • Butch

    I carry my pistol from my house to my car in my driveway, transport it with me in my car, usually concealed so no one will see it and break a glass to steal it when I’m in Wal*Mart or the grocery store or where ever, and then from my car in my driveway to my house. I usually just put it in my pocket to take it to and from the car. Sometimes it slides all the way in and is concealed, and sometimes it doesn’t. It’s a pretty big gun being a S&W Sigma 40 caliber, so most of the time the hand grip with be showing, but like I said, sometimes it’s completely concealed. I’m in my own yard and my own driveway minding my own business. Unfortunately the house across the side street from our driveway is a known drug hangout and I work the grave shift as a security officer. It isn’t unusual for there to be people out on the street over there doing whatever it is they do when I go outside to the car at 2230 hours any night. So I guess my question is, exactly how is one expected, under the law, to transport his gun to and from his vehicle and his residence?

    • Bryant

      as per the state constitution:State ConstitutionArticle 3, Section 12

      The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in the aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.

      the open car carry clause from the legislature deems that you may carry open or concealed in your car is you would in your home, thus implying that you may carry concealed (in part or in whole) in your home, which would include your yard/driveway. it would not include taking your gun out of your vehicle when away from home. it would then have to be “open.”

      • Butch.1955

        Yes sir, I understand that perfectly. I didn’t mean to infer that I would take the gun out of the car when I was away from my home! My most vulnerable times are when I am getting in my car in the middle of the night or the very early morning hours, and then going from my car to my house during the same hours. I work grave shift, 2300 hours to 0700 hours as a Security Officer – not related to the issue – and I often keep the same hours on my off days. It isn’t unusual for me to be in the drive up carry-out lane at McDonald’s, or Burger King, or at an all night convenience store with a drive up window. This county of Mississippi allows the sale of beer from 0700 hours to 0200 hours seven days a week. I live in the Mississippi Delta,not the mouth of the Mississippi river where it empties into the Gulf of Mexico, but the flat, impoverished lands in the northwest part of the state of Mississippi where cotton is king and the population is overwhelmingly black. In this town less than twenty percent of black kids graduate from high school. Do you begin to understand now? When I moved here 37 years ago this area was one of THE best neighborhoods in the city, but now it’s gang and drug ridden. Do you understand why I would want to have a gun for protection in my home and in my car? I do not intend to take the gun out of my car or out of my house in pursuit of a bad guy, but if a bad buy should present himself to me and threaten me while I’m in my home, or going to or from my car, or while I’m in my car in line at a carryout drive up window or where-the-hell-ever, then that’s what I bought it for and it and I shall either rise to the occasion or die. In the mean time I will apply for and wait and see if I can qualify for a license to carry concealed.

  • Frustrated

    I am a retired police officer from Chicago and have been a resident of MS for 7 years. I obtained an application for a permit to carry a concealed weapon from the Drivers license agency in Laurel and provided each and every requirement listed, but after being fingerprinted at MS Hwy Patrol in Hattiesburg (almost 100 miles round trip) & taking all requirements across the street to the Drivers License Bureau, I was told I also needed proof of my earnings from my retirement system. When I asked how was I supposed to know this, the clerk said “the requirements are listed on the Internet.” I just checked the Internet and there is no requirement for my earnings from my retirement system. Now I must travel another 100 miles to take this information. I think this is ridiculous.

    • Mitch Peden

      If you have 10 or more years as LE then you are exempt provided you have a Chicago LE ID and proof of firearms qualifications in last 12 months

    • Warren Rob

      Your from Chicago a state that MS does not have a concealed weapons agreement with, better talk with that state Reps, they seem to be in the red same as CA, go figure

    • John

      Under HR 218 as a retired police officer you can carry in all 50 states. You don’t need a ccw.

    • Charlotte Deneice Windham

      It states that for retired police officers. Thanks for serving.My son is a officer now.

  • Jdawg

    So I’m 21 I can buy a pistol have it in my truck just don’t take it out but I don’t need a permit
    To do that? But I can’t have it under my arm rest? With the mag in? And I have to tell officer upon traffic stop that I am carrying it

    • Kyle

      Yes, you must tell the officer if you are in a traffic stop. However, as I stated previously in response to another person you can legally carry a gun in your vehicle in MS without a permit whether you conceal it or not, in other words it does NOT have to be visible. The law does not specify loaded or un-loaded, however, and if you are going to carry it for defense purposes then go ahead and get your CCW. If you are going to the range to just shoot, however, then you can have it loaded without needing the permit according to Miss. Code Ann. § 97-37-1 Subsection 3. How they know if you are actually going to the range or not is beyond me, though. Seems like enforcement may be a problem.

      • thats why its written that way….cause we know its gonna be impossible to enforce…therfor……we are free to protect ourselves at will (of the owner/person carrying)

  • Lewis

    I live in Pascagoula Ms and I was wondering,where could I go to get an permit?

    • Kyle

      It gives a list of the substations you can do this at above. Just go to the one that is closest to you.

  • What size picture should I have for my paperwork?

    • Ryan T.

      Regular passport photo works fine. I got mine at CVS.

  • Aaron

    Does the permit allow you to carry on your hip or does it have to be completely concealed? Also are there any types on pistols your not allowed to carry? I have a desert eagle 50ae I would like to carry

  • Aaron

    I’m looking to get a permit. Does it allow you to carry on your hip? Also are there any restrictions on what type of pistol you can carry? I have a desert eagle 50ae I’d like to carry.

    • Kyle

      Yes, you can carry a gun on your hip. The MS CCW permit allows you to open carry because the constitution states that a gun in a holster is considered “concealed in part.” No there are no restrictions on the gun you can carry as long as you have the proper permits. Some cops will give you grief on the open carry and will try to intimidate you into not doing so, but by the law it is perfectly legal. YOU MUST HAVE THE CCW TO OPEN CARRY!

      • ThatGuy

        Open carry is now LEGAL in MS.

      • MusingLew

        That entire statement is false. Open carry has always been legal in Ms. The confusion came about because of a goofy interpretation by our AG that legislature straightened out a year or so ago. There is nothing in our constitution about holsters:

        Article 3
        SECTION 12.
        The right of every citizen to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person, or property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but the legislature may regulate or forbid carrying concealed weapons.

    • Austin

      No. This came from a letter that was sent from Attorney General’s office to the police chief of a local p.d. In response of a question for clarification.

      “Is there a law in Mississippi that requires a permit holder to completely cover his weapon in public by means of a shirt, jacket or other piece of clothing?

      Yes. The authority to legally carry a pistol or revolver is derived from Section 45-9-101 of the Mississippi Code which provides in the first sentence: (1)(a) The Department of Public Safety is authorized to issue licenses to carry stun guns, concealed pistols or revolvers to persons qualified in this section.

      This provision does not authorize a person to carry a pistol concealed in part, but requires that it be totally concealed. This conclusion is succinctly set forth in Section 45-9-101 (18): … Further, nothing in this section shall be construed to allow the open and unconcealed carrying of any stun gun or deadly weapon as described in Section 97-37-1, Mississippi Code of 1972.”

  • Benwill

    I’m a mississppi res. but I’m a active duty solider stationed out state can I still apply for a permit. I have my permit for Colorado

  • Tim

    I have a Neveda and Utha CCW which is expiring in Jan. 2013. I now live in Mississippi. Do I need to apply for a new permit or just renew my Utah?

    • If you live in MS, you will need a MS permit. You must always have it on your person when carrying along with valid ID of where you live, usually proved by a valid and current driver’s license. If you now have a MS DL and you show them a different state CCP, there will be plenty of questions to answer, probably at the local police station. I believe you have a 30 day grace period from the day you moved to MS but i may be wrong, there may be no grace period at all. I’d check with an attorney on the grace period but none the less, if you live in MS, get a MS permit. You can keep it in your car in MS as your car is considered your property. If you cross state lines into TN or AL, you better have a current and valid permit from the stste you live in with proof by DL. TN and AL do not allow concealed carry without permit in cars unless there is the 3 step to get to it and it must be unloaded, clip unloaded too. You can google and read up on the 3 step part. Basically gun plus clip must be unloaded and it must take you 3 different steps to get it loaded, ammo in separate place, that sort of thing. I guess they want to give the criminal plenty of time to kill you before you can protect yourself, so better to pay the fee and get the permit. Ain’t it funny how you have to pay to protect yourself. Best of luck.

  • Kirk

    So the total for first time permit is $132.00? Or is it 132+100+finger print fee?

  • damonleesmith22

    I will be going over to Starkville to get my permit (first timer here in Mississisppi). A friend told me you can only go on Thursdays from 8 am till noon. Is this correct?

  • M Harbour

    How long does the process of getting permit takes, as in days or weeks?

    • Charlotte Deneice Windham

      About three months

  • joe

    I dont have a permit, live in Ms was stopped by a state trooper, I told him of the gun he ran it and kept it in his car. After doing his thing, writes me a ticket for 5 over gets in his car and drives off with my gun. I had to run after him at over 100 mph to catch him. I got my gun back and he got a cussing. A after market vette will out run a trooper. Dumb ass could have gave me a ticket for doing 120. They will keep your gun if you dont stand your ground and know your rights.

  • Inthegarden

    Is Mississippi an open carry state? In Michigan we can carry openly (not concealed) without problem as long as its not in a restricted area.

    • Anonymous

      No open carry in Mississippi period. With a permit or without as of right now. I believe there is a bill on the floor now to change this.
      With a permit: Even with a permit, Attorney General Jim Hood has stated that a firearm must be kept “totally concealed”.
      Without a permit: Although the Missississppi constitution appears to afford constitutional protection to permitless open carry, the judiciary has determined that even a “partially” concealed firearm (ie. holstered firearm) is considered concealed and thus requires a permit. For the same reasons that a permit holder may not openly carry, we strongly advise against permitless open carry. 

      • MusingLew

        Absolutely false and convoluted answer.

  • Mark

    What exactly is classified as an alcohol abuser? Does this mean if you have had a dui in the past, you can’t get a permit to carry?

  • jamie

    wheres the best place for the pic and the figerprints?

  • Jones

    how can i legally carry my gun on me when i vacation to floridia. Can i get a temporary one?

  • I have a question. my husband is active army. he is an florida res and im a hawaii res. so we cant get a gun or the lic till after a year here? Do we need a permit/license in order to purchase a gun?

  • A few yrs ago after I lost my brother, I got really depressed and tried to take my own life as he did. will this affect me getting a permit?

  • Myles1

    Is there a grace period for a expired miss.permit

  • Jonathan Perry

    I am active duty military stationed in maryland currently and a police officer. Does anyone know if maryland approves Mississippi CCW?



  • R.Bailey

    With the passing and final ruling on HB 2 shouldn’t this sticky be updated along with information on the IC enhancement ?

  • M. Chappell

    What does this “Res Permits Only” mean – the yellow tag for CO, FL, etc.? “Residents” maybe?

  • MSNG


  • john

    Can an law officer consider any part of the gun he can’t see,concealed? Like in a holster,up against one’s body or the side face down in a car seat? and what is the Law ref #?

  • James

    Can I carry my hand gun in a my car through a state when traveling if the state does not honor my CCW permit?

  • Phil

    I am a retired Law Enforcement Officer of Ms. 21 years. Am I required to have Concealed Carry Permit.?

    • THOMAS


  • wppage

    my MISSISSIPPI cc permit expires in 1/14. do i just mail in the notarized form with the renewal amount or do i have to go to one of the police substations again?

  • Daniel Smith

    Need to update. Open carry is now legal in ms

    • MusingLew

      Open carry has always been legal in Ms as spelled out in our state constitution.

  • JustinMS

    I have a TN gun permit but just moved to MS. What steps do I need to take to be able to carry legally? Can I just use my TN gun permit until it expires or do I have to get a MS one. I have MS drivers license now. Thanks for the help

  • Smadanel

    If I have already filled out and had notarized my permit application and had all my paperwork in order and squared away, is there a certain amount of time I have to turn it in? IE Does it expire with out being processed?

  • Jobe

    Does anyone know how to check the status of your permit? I’ve looked around but haven’t had much luck.

  • Alton Pops Lindsay

    where on line can i get the application for concealed carry in mississippi

  • Brooks

    If you need your concealed weapons permit, contact Smith’s Enhanced Firearm Training at (601)955-7971


    I just bought a 38 revolver–Can’t I carry the pistol under my seat without a permit–What is the 2nd amendment in our bill of rights about anyway??—Our Founding Fathers gave us the right to bear firearms–They must be turning over in their graves with all these damn rules and permits!!


      The simple fact of the matter is America is turning into a POLICE STATE and the cops will use any excuse to take your gun because they are strapped for cash and a vast majority are as crooked as a dead snake in the road!

  • Shane Waldrop

    So if its my first time applying do I only pay the $132 or do I pay another $100 on top of that for fingerprint charge and license fee?

  • mwhitebop

    I have a firearms permit with the IC enhancement on the permit in the state of Mississippi can I use that to do security or do I have to get a security guard permit to do security for a armed post?

  • roy

    how much does it cost besides the 100 dollar finger print

  • Ybill

    I am a bit confused. Does Florida or does Florida not honor a Mississippi CCW permit?

  • Not4me2Judge

    what about a stun gun? Do you have to have a permit to carry and how much are they does anyone know?

  • Mike

    Why does Mississippi honor other state’s pistol permits (CC) when they don’t honor our permits.

  • ahmrhyde

    open carry is not limited to legitimate firearms-related activity. they need to update this site asap.

  • Mr Ron

    I am confused by the CC law. I heard that you no longer need a permit to CC, yet they are still issuing CC permits. Do I need one or not?

  • Farmer

    July 26, 2016 – This article is out of date with regard to Mississippi open carry. It also neglects discussion of MS Enhanced Permit which allows carry in most places listed above as prohibited. Best to check to current law from a legitimate legal source.

  • George marshall

    What is enhance CCW and how do I know I have this? I went to the class for Enhance CC but my permit has nothing indicating this.