Nebraska Concealed Carry Permit Information

Click here to view the Nebraska Concealed Carry Permit Map at the bottom of the page.

If you would like to contribute to this page, please post the information in the State Forums.

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue to Residents only

Example Resident Permit:
Nebraska Concealed Carry Permit Front
Nebraska Concealed Carry Permit Back

Issuing Authority:
The issuing authority is the Nebraska State Police. Any person wishing to apply for a permit to carry a concealed handgun shall apply to the Nebraska State Patrol at the Criminal Identification Division (CID) office in Lincoln or at any Troop Area Headquarters outside of Lincoln. If other locations become available, locations will be posted on the Nebraska State Patrol web-site at The address for each office is as follows:

Criminal Identification Office – 233 S. 10th St. – Lincoln
Troop A Headquarters – 4411 S. 108th St. – Omaha
Troop B Headquarters – 1401 Eisenhower Avenue – Norfolk
Troop C Headquarters – 3431 Old Potash Highway – Grand Island
Troop D Headquarters – 300 W. South River Road – North Platte
Troop E Headquarters – 4500 Avenue I – Scottsbluff

Out Of State Permit Issue:
Nebraska does not issue permits to non-residents.

NICS/Background Check:

Permit Valid For:
The license is good for five years.

Permit Issued Timeline:
CHPs must be issued within 5 days of a successful criminal background check.

New – $100
Renewal – $50

The fee shall be paid with the application and shall be paid in cash or check made payable to the Nebraska State Patrol. When it becomes feasible, payment may also be made with debit or credit cards approved by the Nebraska State Patrol.

1. Must not be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a handgun under Federal law
2. Resident of Nebraska
3. Submit two sets of fingerprints
4. pay the fee of $100 ($50 for renewals)
5. Demonstrate that the applicant has the same powers of eyesight as required for a Class O operator’s (driver’s) license or, provides a licensed optometrist’s or ophthalmologist’s certified report and statement that applicant’s eyesight is sufficient to obtain a Class O operator’s license.
5. Show proof that the applicant has completed, within 3 years of application, a course approved by Nebraska State Patrol, evidencing knowledge and competency with regard to:
a. handling a handgun and appropriate ammunition
b. demonstrating safe firing and handling
c. federal, state, and local laws pertaining to handguns, firearms, self-defense, various levels of assault, and justifiable homicide
d. proper storage of a firearm
e. techniques for avoiding violent confrontation
f. is over 21 years of age
g. must prove that they are a member of active, reserve, or National Guard military forces and has received, within three years of application, handgun training which would satisfy the above requirements.

Required Documents:
1. Application form
2. Proof of training
3. Proof of vision
4. Proof of identification
5. Proof of citizenship
6. Proof of address
7. A signature
8. The applicable fee

Renewal Information:
Permit holders may renew a permit to carry a concealed handgun within the four (4) months prior to expiration of the initial permit at any Nebraska State Patrol Troop Headquarters or office.

An application for renewal must be completed by permit holder affirming that the permit holder still meets all current requirements for obtaining a permit. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) business days of receipt of the application valid for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit.

A current photograph will be required with the renewal application.

A permit holder letting an initial permit expire without applying for a renewal will be required to apply for another initial permit and meet all of the requirements for an initial permit.

Change of Name or Address:
Permit holders who change name or address are required to notify the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program in writing within thirty (30) days of the change in name or address.

A permit holder may obtain a replacement permit by returning the current permit to the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program and submitting a written request for a replacement permit. If the applicant still meets the requirements for a permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shallissue a replacement permit within five (5) working days of receiving the request. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date asthe initial or renewed permit.

A permit holder may request to pick up the replacement permit in person or have it mailed.

A permit holder moving to another state shall return the permit to the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program for cancellation. The permit is not valid if the permit holder is no longer a resident of Nebraska.

Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Permits:
A permit holder whose permit is lost, stolen, or damaged shall notify the Nebraska State Patrol in writing within ten (10) days of determining that the permit is lost, stolen, or damaged. When notified of a lost, stolen, or damaged permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shall cancel the permit. The permit holder shall not carry a concealed weapon until the Nebraska State Patrol issues a replacement.

A permit holder may obtain a replacement permit by submitting a written request for replacement. The replacement form shall require a statement about the facts and circumstances surrounding the “lost, stolen or damaged” permit. If the applicant still meets the requirements for a permit, the Nebraska State Patrol shall issue a replacement permit within five (5) working days of receiving the request. The replacement permit shall have the same expiration date as the initial or renewed permit.

A permit holder whose permit is damaged may return the damaged permit to the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program with the permit holder’s written request for a replacement permit.

If a peace officer seizes a permit as evidence of a violation for a criminal case or a revocation proceeding, the officer shall notify the Nebraska State Patrol Concealed Handgun Permit Program immediately so that the permit will not be replaced as lost or stolen upon application by the permit holder. A form for this purpose will be available on the Nebraska State Patrol web-site at

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
At all times while carrying a concealed handgun, a permit holder shall carry the following documentation and display it to any peace officer or emergency service personnel upon request:
1. The concealed handgun permit; and
2. Nebraska driver’s license, Nebraska-issued state identification card, or military identification card.

Violation of this provision is a Class III misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class I misdemeanor for a second or subsequent offense.

A permit holder carrying a concealed handgun who is officially contacted by any peace officer or emergency services personnel must immediately inform the peace officer or emergency service personnel of the concealed handgun unless physically unable to do so.

A peace officer or emergency service personnel making contact with the permit holder may determine that securing the handgun is necessary for the safety of any person present. If requested, the permit holder must immediately surrender or secure the handgun for safekeeping as ordered by the peace officer or emergency service personnel until a determination has been made that there is no concern for safety and that the permit holder will not be detained for law violations or medical treatment. If the permit holder is transported for treatment by emergency service personnel, the handgun is to be turned over to a peace officer as soon as it is feasible to do so. The peace officer will provide the permit holder with a receipt for the handgun which will include make, model, caliber, and serial number

Automobile carry:
Non-permit holders: Shotguns must be unloaded. Loaded rifles & handguns may be in plain view or stowed in the trunk. Unloaded handguns may be transported in locked glove compartments.

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Police, sheriff, or Nebraska State Patrol station or office;
2. Detention facility, prison, or jail;
3. Courtroom or building containing a courtroom;
4. Polling place during a bona fide election;
5. Meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or other political subdivision;
6. Meeting of the Legislature or a committee of the Legislature;
7. Financial institutions as defined by Nebraska Revised Statutes § 8-101(12);
8. Professional, semi-professional, or collegiate athletic event;
9. School, school grounds, school-owned vehicle, or schoolsponsored activity or athletic event;
10. Place of worship;
11. Emergency room or trauma center;
12. Political rally or fundraiser;
13. Establishment having a liquor license which derives over onehalf of its income from the sale of alcoholic liquor;
14. Any place where the carrying or possession of a firearm is prohibited by state or federal law;
15. Any place or premises or employer owned vehicle where those in control of the place, premises or vehicle have prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns; or
16. Any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited by law or rule or regulation.

A financial institution, notwithstanding Section 018.01G above, may authorize its security personnel to carry a concealed handgun while on duty so long as the security personnel have a concealed handgun permit and are in compliance with the law.

A person, entity, or employer in control of a place or premises described in Section 018.01O above, which is open to the public, may prohibit permit holders from carrying concealed handguns in the place or premises by posting a conspicuous notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited in or on the place or premises or by making a request, directly or through an authorized representative or management personnel, that the permit holder remove the concealed handgun from the place or premises.

State law does not mandate a specific requirement for a sign other than that it be conspicuously posted, the Nebraska State Patrol strongly suggests that a standardized format be utilized. The standardized form should contain a four (4) inch circle with a slash covering a handgun and text giving notice that carrying a concealed handgun anywhere on the premises is prohibited. A form will be available on the Nebraska State Patrol website which can be downloaded for printing. The Nebraska State Patrol also strongly recommends that a place or premises wishing to prohibit concealed handguns post the sign at normal eye level at each public entrance to the place or premises. Normal eye level is considered to be between 54” and 66” from the floor.

A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun into or onto any posted place or premises in a vehicle so long as the handgun is not removed from the vehicle while in or on the posted place or premises. This provision applies only to posted premises and does not allow a permit holder to carry a 15 concealed handgun in a vehicle into any other place or premises where handguns are prohibited. Employers may prohibit employees or other persons who are permit holders from carrying concealed handguns in vehicles owned by the employer.

While state law does not mandate, the Nebraska State Patrol strongly recommends any establishment having a liquor license which derives over one-half of its income from the sale of alcoholic liquor post the premises with the standardized sign as patrons will have difficulty in determining which establishments with liquor licenses exceed the income limit.

Alcohol and Drugs:
A permit holder shall not carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or while there is any previously consumed alcohol or controlled substance as defined in Nebraska Revised Statutes § 28-401 of the statutes in his or her blood, urine, or breath unless the controlled substance was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically prescribed amounts.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Nebraska is not a Castle Doctrine state and has no stand-your-ground law.

Open Carry:
Unrestricted under state law; some local regulation possible.

Localities with Varying Laws:

Forms & Links:
Nebraska State Patrol: Concealed Permit Information
NRA-ILA: Nebraska Gun Laws

We try to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.

  • gregg

    The color map is confusing. It looks as thought the blue states do not honor NE permits, but NE honors theirs. And the Red states DO honor NE permits. According to the written description it is the reverse…

    • tj7978

      Read it again….

  • Rusty Shackleford

    What a Joke our state is garbage for consealed carry laws. Pretty much most of the places you are allowed to conseal carry are places you can already open carry. I see no point in giving two sets of finger prints & paying the state for a permit that is useless because every place is restricted. I want to thank this for posting this information though. I don’t like having to give out my name and address just to ask the police what the laws are.

    • Lee G.

      You should try California! Each City/County department can issue a permit, but most will not! you could be a officer and still not carry concealed off duty with some departments or in some cities! Basically if you are friends with a police chief, mayor or Governor you MAY be in. CAli is a great place to visit but not a good place to live.

    • Steven W. Holman

      You, sir, are an idiot.

  • Nebtraveler

    i am confused, I am from Nebraska have a Nebraska license, am I allowed to carry in Florida?

    • nightowllincoln

      Only residents of Florida are allowed to carry concealed in Florida

      • Rick Sato

        wrong…just plain wrong!

      • CorruptionInColumbia

        Nightowllincoln, you might want to te-check your “facts”

    • guest

      You can carry in Florida if you are a Nebraska resident with a Nebraska permit. An example would be like me, I have the Nebraska and the Utah permit as well, I wouldn’t be able to provide my Utah permit and be okay because of being a Nebraska resident. Colorado is another one they honor the Nebraska permit but you have to be a resident, you can’t carry concealed in Coloradoon day the Utah permit unless you are a resident of Utah.

  • Terri

    How long after the concealed weapon class till you go to the state patrol office and finish do we have?

    • Paul

      Three years from date on the training certificate to get your permit.

    • Paul

      Three years from date on the training certificate to get your permit.

  • RC69101

    Terri- Permit Issued Timeline:

    CHPs must be issued within 5 days of a successful criminal background check.

    Gregg- You where probably on the wrong view of the map. There are 2 views one is for showing state permits that recognize NE permits, the other view is for states that NE recognizes. You have to click on the one you want listed above the map.

    Nebtraveler- FL, CO, MI are the 3 states that you can only get a carry permit if you are a resident of that state. So unless you would become a FL resident no you would not be able to carry in FL.

    I have been told (= this may or may not be true),that with a NE CHP and a UT CHP (they supposedly issue to non residents) you are covered for all but the 3 that only go with resident permit holders. You want to check this out to be sure it is correct before you do anything PLEASE.

  • El Diablo

    I have lived in Neb my whole life and I can tell you the whole freakin state is about as backwards as it gets! I keep asking myself why I live here, for sixty years I have asked myself this qhestion!

    • jeffw0615

      Leave. You won’t be missed.

    • Dennis Selvage

      Fucking moving if u hate it so much , I don’t think any body would miss you ass wipe

  • seriously…have to go through ALL that just to get a permit??? I can walk into the PD station here in WA, fill out a form, hand it in and walk out…2-6 weeks later I have a permit in the mail. 2 if I show military ID.
    All that crap is ridiculous

    • tj7978

      So move to Afghanistan if you don’t like it here.

      • Jennifer Champoux

        Tj, quit being an asshole to everyone. You really aren’t all that to begin with.
        And in case you didn’t catch it, I said I was in Washington moron. That means I don’t live there anymore, thankfully.
        Oh, I’ve been to Afghanistan thank you…and you’re welcome dick.

  • Art clark

    Concealed carry here is a joke, unless you want to carry in your vehicle. Otherwise, they prohibit about half the places you need to have one according to history. Case in point: places of worship? Are you serious? I agree with Rusty, what’s the point?

  • the blue states mean they honor the permit. Yred is they don’t honor them. Yellow is resident’s only correct? IN nebraska you can carry outside in public area’s. Is it even worth going thru to get a permit if I can’t carry in 99% of public places. Just 2 years ago a cop was shot in a applebees for no reason other then the guy was on drugs.

  • chris

    I have a poss. charge back in 2004. I went thru the appeal process an it was granted. Can I get my CCW permit or will I have to go thru another appeal process again?

  • Ruger454

    For travelers through Nebraska from states that Nebraska does not honor their concealed carry permits, how to Nebraska state troopers, police and sheriff’s deputies react to an openly carried, holstered handgun. I understand that OC is unrestricted in Nebraska, but what’s the real story on the ground? I will be passing through Nebraska on I-80 next week and need to know. Thanks, all.

  • Chris

    I just moved to Nebraska and I am a military dependent. I am legally allowed to have a home of record for tax purposes. I went to talk to the State police to find out if my Florida concealed carry would be valid here. They said that Florida is a reciprocity state with NE but since I live here now (only for 3 years) I am considered a resident. The legal office told me that reciprocity only means if you travel to NE not if you live here. They told me that I would have to get a NE license to show that I am a resident and than I can apply for one. My wife, active duty military, on the other hand just has to bring in our lease and her orders and she can get one no problem. I don’t see why I can’t show my lease to prove I live here and get a NE CCW.

  • Sugar Bear

    Why is there so much difference between states, I though it was a federal law. If it were a federal law i think there would have to be a little more uniformity. I was a nebraska resident most of my life, recently moved across the state line, just a few miles from where i was born and raised. The state i live in honors nebraska’s permits, but will not honor my permit. Sure sounds like something is not quite right.

    • tj7978

      So get a new permit from your new state, idiot.

  • bojo77

    What about carrying weapons in a motorhome?

  • Black Hills Resident

    Why will Neb not accept my South Dakota CHP but South Dakota accepts Neb CHP?

    • shadowfyre

      Because of the different age requirement

    • Stuart Johnson

      And Nevada is considering allowing former military personnel under 21 to get a CCW. In which case Nebraska will probably stop accepting Nevada’s.

  • The farmer

    Can I use any of my hand guns for the conceal carry class? Or do I have to use the one I intend on carrying? And what’s with the armed forces requirement? It makes it sound as though you have to be or of been in the armed forces to get the permit.

    • Monga

      Any of your hand guns is fine. Nebraska does not link specific firearms to the CCW like in California.

  • Josh

    If you recently had a DUI in the state of Nebraska can you still get a concealed to carry permit?