Kentucky Concealed Carry Permit Information

Concealed Permit:
Shall Issue to Residents Only

Example Resident Permit: (Back is Blank)
Kentucky Concealed Weapon Permit

Issuing Authority:
Kentucky State Police

The application shall be obtained from and submitted to the office of the sheriff in the county in which the applicant resides.

Out Of State Permit Issue:

NICS check:

Permit Valid For:
Permits are valid for five years.

Permit Issued Timeline:
The application will be sent to the Kentucky State Police within five working days. The Department of Kentucky State Police shall, within 90 days, either issue a license or deny the application, in which case the applicant shall be informed in writing of the grounds for denial and his right to submit, within 30 days, documentation relating to the denial.

The applicant must also pay the $60 application fee at the time of application (active and retired peace officers that meet the requirements of KRS 237.110(7) are exempt from paying the application or renewal fee). The sixty-dollar fee is to be allocated as follows:

1. Payment of twenty dollars to the sheriff of your county of residence.
2. A check or money order for forty dollars (the portion of the CCDW fee allocated to the KSP and the Administrative Office of the Courts by statute) payable to the Department of State Police. The KSP will collect the portion of the fee designated for the Administrative Office of the Courts on its behalf.

Applications that are not accompanied by a check or money order for forty dollars ($40.00) payable to the Department of State Police will be returned unprocessed to the sheriff of the applicant’s county of residence.

1. Be a resident of Kentucky for at least six months prior to filing the application or a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty, who is at the time of application assigned to a military posting in Kentucky, and who has been assigned to a posting in Kentucky for six months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application; and
2. Be twenty-one (21) years of age or older; and
3. Not be under indictment for, or have been convicted of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; and
4. Not be a fugitive from justice; and
5. Not be an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance; and
6. Not have been adjudicated as a mental defective or have committed to a mental institution; and
7. Not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; and
8. Not be subject to a domestic violence order or emergency protective order; and
9. Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (see section below for discussion of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence); and
10. Not be prohibited from the purchase, receipt or possession of firearms, ammunition or both pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 922(g), 18 U.S.C. 922(n), or applicable state law; and
11. Not have been committed to a state or federal facility for abuse of a controlled substance or convicted of a misdemeanor relating to a controlled substance within the three-year period immediately preceding the date the application was submitted; and
12. Not have two or more convictions for violating KRS 189A.010 (Operating motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or other substance which impairs driving ability) within the three (3) years immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted; and
13. Not have been committed as an alcoholic pursuant to KRS Chapter 222 or similar laws of another state within the three (3) year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted; and
14. Not owe a child support arrearage which equals or exceeds the cumulative amount which would be owed after one (1) year of nonpayment; and
15. Have complied with any subpoena or warrant relating to child support or paternity proceedings; and
16. Have not been convicted of a violation of KRS 508.030 (Assault in the fourth degree) or 508.080 (Terroristic Threatening in the third degree) within the three years immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted; and
17. Demonstrate competence with a firearm by successful completion of a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

Required Documents:
1. The application form, completed under oath
2. Name, Address, Date of Birth, Gender and Social Security Number.
3. Recent color photograph: full head shot no smaller than 3 ½ x 4 nor larger than 4×5 inches.
4. A photocopy of a certificate or an affidavit or document certifying completion of a firearms training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training.

Renewal Information:
Not less than one hundred twenty (120) days prior to the expiration date of a CCDW license, the Department of State Police shall mail to each licensee a written notice of the expiration and a renewal form. If you wish to renew your CCDW license, you must take the renewal notice, a CCDW License Renewal Affidavit stating that you remain qualified to possess a CCDW license pursuant to KRS 237.110(3) and (4) and a color photograph to the Sheriff of your county of residence. You can download the CCDW License Renewal Affidavit (KSP 125) to be submitted with the renewal form to the Sheriff of your county of residence by clicking here. The photograph must be in color. The photograph must be no less than three and one-half (3 ½) inches by four (4) inches and no more than four (4) inches by five (5) inches. The photograph shall display the full front of the head and the facial features of the applicant. The applicant shall not wear sunglasses or attire that obscures their facial features in the photograph. The photograph shall be an original photograph or a photographic copy developed from the negative of an original photograph and must not be an image produced by a computer, copier or other copy machine. Digital photographs or their printed images are not acceptable.

If you fail to renew your license on or before the expiration date and wish to renew your license, you will be required to pay an additional late fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00).

To pay the renewal fee, you must submit a payment to the Sheriff in the amount of twenty dollars and a check or money order in the amount of forty dollars (fifty five dollars if the renewal application is submitted after the expiration date of the license) payable to the Department of State Police.

If six months or more has passed since the expiration date of your license, your license has permanently expired and cannot be renewed. If your license has permanently expired, you may reapply for licensure pursuant to KRS 237.110 by obtaining a CCDW application from the Sheriff of your county of residence.

Change of Address:
You are required to notify the Kentucky State Police within thirty days after the changing of your permanent address or other information on your license. Failure to do so is a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars payable to the clerk of the District Court. To change or update your address or personal information, you must complete a Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons Licensee Request for Change of Personal Information (KSP 121) form at the office of the Sheriff of your county of residence. Once completed, the Sheriff will forward the information to the Kentucky State Police.

Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:

Automobile carry:
Firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) may be carried loaded and in plain view; loaded handguns may be carried in the glove compartment (center consolve box carry is not allowed).

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Police station or sheriff’s office.
2. Detention facility, prison or jail.
3. Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
4. County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
5. Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
6. General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
7. Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
8. Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
9. Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
10. Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
11. Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.

In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Alcohol and Drugs:
Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

Deadly Force / Castle Doctrine:
Kentucky is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law.


Open Carry:
Unrestricted in most public areas and generally accepted.

To view a state’s concealed carry permit information click on the state. The state’s color represents whether a state is Shall Issue, May Issue, Constitutional Carry or Right Denied (We explain each state’s status here).

Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alabama, Colorado, Georgia, Guam, Louisiana, Michigan, Montana, Wyoming

Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arkansas, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin

May Issue to Residents Only:
California, Delaware, Virgin Islands

May Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents Only:
Alaska, West Virginia

Constitutional Carry and Shall Issue to Residents and Non-Residents:
Arizona, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire

Constitutional Carry and Does Not Issue Permits:

Right Denied:
American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

We try to keep the information on this page as up to date as possible but due to changing laws it is your responsibility to verify all information. The information on this page is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site, emails or any of the links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between i156 LLC and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of i156 LLC.