This nice family pictured is the Davis family from the Ozarks in Missouri. Jason is the owner of Lenwood Leather Enterprises and I am reviewing some of his products. His website states that his products “are built with pride right here in the good old USA by Americans who know the value of a hard day’s work.” Some of his products are the Wraith Outside-the-Waistband (OWB) and the Specter Inside-the-Waistband (IWB) holsters and the hybrid belt. I want to give you my opinions and comments about them.
I will compare the holsters and belt as a package to each of my 10 criteria using a 10-point scale to evaluate them. For each factor, a “10” rating is the best, a “0” the worst, and a “5” a mid-level rating. I want to be as objective and rational as possible, realizing we all have different goals, needs, priorities, and preferences. You probably have your own factors and that is fine. Also, we each will usually weigh each factor more or less than another in importance because this is a very personal, subjective evaluation and selection process. Here are my 10 Criteria for Selecting a Holster package, not in any order:
1. QUALITY MADE & SERVICE: What is the material used and is the holster constructed with quality? Is the kydex and/or leather of premium quality and thickness? Is the stitching strong and does the overall construction seem durable. Will it stand up to your particular demands, wear and tear, and is it appropriate for your use without impairing performance and mechanical function? Are the rivets, clips, grommets, snaps, buckles, rings, magnets and/or metal parts strong, rustproof, and quality made? Is it an established, reputable company that meets promised delivery times and your expectations? What type of warranty or guarantee does it have? Consider the holster’s weight and bulk and any special options and features (like distance between belt loops, stability attributes, ejection port cutout for quicker draw, sweatguard, ride height-muzzle coverage-mouth flare options, and desired cant.) Is a discount offered? If so, what % discount is offered and what is the coupon code at checkout?
2. ALL DAY COMFORT: How comfortable is this holster style during each of the different physical positions; walking, bending, sitting, standing, and twisting? Can you wear it while driving? Can you wear it for the entire day comfortably and not even know that you are wearing it?
3. PERFORMANCE/CONCEALMENT: Does the holster perform as required for its effective purpose/use? (This holster package is for range and competition.) How well does the holster ride during body motions, like walking, bending, sitting, standing, twisting, reaching, etc.? Imagine wearing the holster during these different movements or your purpose. Is there an adjustment for the holster, to provide better fit? Are there J clip belt hooks available for IWB carry, if applicable?
4. ADAPTABILITY & FIT: Can this holster and/or belt be used for different handguns… or with a Laser sight or light? How versatile is it? The safety features of a holster require that the holster be engineered and designed for each specific manufacture and specific model of handgun. Does this holster do that and is it adaptable to other similar-sized guns? Are there modifications available, options, or additions that adapt to other handguns? What are the approximate costs of these adaptations, if any? Is the shooter’s gun(s) properly fitted for this holster? Does the handgun insert so deep in the holster that the gun grips cannot be properly accessed? Does the gun jam so tight into the holster that it takes two hands to draw it or can you draw the gun easily with one hand?
5. PRICE: What is its total price relative to existing competitors now? Do you get any special features, options, warranties, guarantees, repair service, or additions that are worth something? Can you return it without any questions and within what time period? Will they repair or replace it for free? Do you get what you pay for?
6. SAFETY: Does the holster secure the gun in place well? How well does the holster provide protection to the handgun during insertion into or removal from the holster or while being carried that will:
- prevent accidental trigger movement;
- prevent accidental disengagement of the safety mechanism;
- prevent forward or rearward movement of the hammer?
7. EASE OF REHOLSTERING & ACCESS: Can you reach your handgun quickly in an emergency or while sitting in your vehicle? A rigid holster and/or a reinforced mouth will allow a handgun to be returned to it using only one hand, while a flexible one may collapse after the gun is drawn, requiring the use of both hands to reholster. How easy is it to access your weapon and use the holster while walking, bending, sitting, standing, twisting, etc.?
8. EASE OF PUTTING ON & TAKING OFF: Can you simply and easily put the holster on and take it off. Consider if you will be putting this holster on and taking it off throughout the day and under what conditions. Must it be removed for taking care of personal needs in public restrooms? If so, can you do it safely and easily? Are the belt loops sufficiently large to easily slide the holster onto your usual belt?
9. ACCOMMODATIONS: Can you wear both open or closed cover garments with the holster? Can you effectively use the holster while wearing shorts, capris, sweatpants, or clothing without a belt, as applicable? Do you have to wear special clothing or make accommodations in dress or draw when wearing and using this holster? Is a cover vest or larger trousers required to hide the holster and handgun?
10. RETENTION: Does the holster retain the handgun adequately? Is the holster snug when fitted on a gun belt for a consistent and fast draw and to reduce draw resistance. Is the gun secure and safe in the holster? A holster designed with solid and proper retention will help prevent a gun from being removed from the holster by another.
Click next to read my evaluation of the Lenwood Products.