I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no financial genius. That’s why I make it a point to surround myself with men who are much smarter than me when it comes to stocks, bonds, and overall investing. And over the years I’ve made contacts with some of the wealthiest men in finance. These are men with net worth’s over $100 million and you’d probably know their names.
For the last several years these men have been telling me that the economy is going to collapse soon and the U.S. dollar is going to have a complete meltdown any day now. Some of them think there will be riots in the streets and Martial Law. Other’s think it won’t be so bad but that inflation is going to skyrocket and so will unemployment.
Fact is, I don’t know who’s right, but I certainly believe something bad is going to happen in the near future. I don’t know how tough times are going to get, and I don’t know how severe the collapse is going to be, but again, there’s no doubt in my mind something will happen. That’s why I believe it’s crucial to do the following 10 things before China decides to stop investing in the U.S. dollar and we see our spending power disappear overnight.
- Have at a very minimum the following three guns: A handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun. I would recommend the Glock 19, the Kel-Tec Sub-2000 and a Remington 870 shotgun. Now, I know the Kel-tec isn’t a “real” rifle but I like the fact that it takes 9mm rounds and I can use the same magazines as my Glock. I would have 1,000 rounds per gun at a minimum.
- Know how to use the guns and make sure your family members know how to use them too. If you don’t train properly, then the best rifle in the world won’t do you any good if you don’t know how to use it to defend yourself and your home.
- Do a home security assessment. Focus on the three layers of security. Do you have ample lighting around your house? Are your shrubs trimmed? Have you put new locks and deadbolts on your house using three-inch screws? Do you have a safe room for your family?
- Get a year’s supply of food. There are dozens of websites that sell complete “years supply” packages for families. I realize that a year’s worth of food is costly, however, if the “end” comes, all that money in the bank isn’t going to do you a bit of good if you die from starvation.
- Have at least one month’s supply of water. Get the 55-gallon drums made specifically for water storage. At a minimum, you should have enough water for one gallon per person per day. That means a 31 day supply for a family of four is 124 gallons (which means you’ll need three 55 gallon drums.) After you have your month’s supply of water, make a list of other water sources in your area such as rivers and lakes. Don’t forget to buy a water filter too.
- Have some gold, silver, and cash. To tell you the truth, I would make sure I had the food and water and guns before I worried about the money aspect. However, have as much gold, silver, and cash as you can, with an absolute minimum of $1,000 cash stored somewhere safe in your house.
- Start getting out of debt now. I realize that depending on how bad things get, your debt might not matter at all. However, it’s always better to be debt free and you’ll be a lot happier if you are, and you’ll have one less thing to worry about when times go from bad to worse.
- Plan to stay in your house. I’d say one of the biggest myths of the “end of the world” scenario is that we should all grab our bug-out-bags and head for the Idaho mountains. The fact is, most of us will be a lot safer and survive a lot longer if we remain in our houses. That’s why it’s important to beef up hour home security now and have plenty of food and water storage.
- Don’t brag, don’t announce to your neighbors that you just received your 10 buckets of grains for your year’s supply of food. I would keep your preparation plans between your family members only. When times get tough, we know from history that people tend to do unspeakable things.
- All of the above won’t do a bit of good if you’re the only one who knows about it. You need to sit down with your family members and make a “plan of action” should the “meltdown” actually happen. Decide who’s going to do what. Decide how you’re going to communicate. What to do if you’re at work, etc. And most importantly, get those guns. A year’s supply of food and all those survival materials won’t matter if looters end up taking them.