These headlines aren’t surprising given the rising crime in Philadelphia. After a quick search, we’ve covered at least nine stories this year so far where armed citizens fought back (see links below.)
According to a report by Philly Mag, from 2017 through 2020, there were between 11-12,000 concealed carry applications per year. Guess how many there were in 2021?
That’s a 600% increase. Citizens of Philadelphia must be getting fed up with the crime and deciding to arm themselves.
The application process was made a bit easier in 2021 when Philadelphia removed the need to fill out part of the application in person and get fingerprinted. The whole application can be completed online. But I doubt that change is the reason for a 600% increase in applications. I’d lean more toward the rise in crime as well as the influx of new gun owners since 2020.
There are also no training requirements to get a Pennsylvania concealed carry license. So with all of these new concealed carriers, I can only hope that they take the responsibility seriously and seek out training from a vetted instructor. I’ll steal a line from Varg Freeborn (and probably butcher it). I support constitutional carry, but I don’t support people being lazy and not taking it upon themselves to train. So go find an instructor and get some training.
Recent Articles of Philadelphia Citizens Fighting Back
- Concealed Carrier Shoots, Kills Armed Robbery Suspect in Convenience Store
- Man ‘Pulls a Bruce Lee Move’, Takes Gun and Shoots Armed Robber
- Dollar General Manager w/ CCW Shoots “Armed” Robber in Head
- Dog Named ‘Bullet’ Gives Clerk Time to Draw and Fire at 2 Armed Robbers
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Off Multiple Shots, Putting Carjacker Into Critical Condition
- Man Shoots & Kills Carjacker; Family Demands Charges for Shooter
- Surveillance Video Released That Shows Concealed Carrier Fighting Back Against Carjackers In Philly
- Concealed Carrier Get Into Shootout w/ Carjackers; 17 Shots Fired, 16-Year Old Suspect Hit
- Another Lyft Driver Breaks Company Policy, Defends Himself By Shooting Two Carjackers